Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2006, 12:20 PM

Default Legal DC Poker Room or scam? thecapitolroom.com

I assume this is some kind of scam, but the site is at least very well done. They basically claim they are able to offer a poker room through some careful reading of the law, making it a private club, screening members, yada yada.

It's somewhat plausible, but they don't give an address or phone number that I could see. They are also running a free WSOP satellite as a grand opening stunt, but ask for a lot of personal info: employer, education, income (though nothing like credit cards or SSNs, at least on the initial registration page).

Anyway, just curious if any of you knows anything about this.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Legal DC Poker Room or scam? thecapitolroom.com

Well i find it interesting that they use that quote on their website, after all it comes froma book about cheating.

As a general rule I'm skeptical of any claim that this is legal, but I haven't reserached it.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:55 PM

This looks pretty sweet. Since all money transfers are electronic I guess seizures will be tough and the police wont be as motivated to raid.

Greg
Old 03-30-2006, 01:05 PM

I can't check it at work - says I don't have the flash stuff. Can you summarize - what reasoning do they give on it being legal? Games? I'll def play there if it seems legit and it truly looks like the police won't hassle.

Jeff
Old 03-30-2006, 01:07 PM

I just sent them an email and it was bounced back.

Greg
Old 03-30-2006, 01:15 PM

They claim to comply with section 22-1704 of the DC criminal code which allows for "social poker games" but not games of chance. They claim poker is legal but that the district enforces a losses recover statute on losses >$25. Therefore they screen all applicants and bar any that try to claim losses from other members.

It looks like a private club that does not allow direct money transactions and has nice accomidations including "a stunning staff of all female dealers." Games of all levels playing 7 stud, limit and NL holdem.

They also claim to have a once a month invitation only tourney with a WSOP "celeb" playing.

Could be interesting
Greg
Old 03-30-2006, 01:57 PM

Memberships start at $2500, BTW.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't check it at work - says I don't have the flash stuff. Can you summarize - what reasoning do they give on it being legal? Games? I'll def play there if it seems legit and it truly looks like the police won't hassle.

[/ QUOTE ]
Got a $2500 membership fee?
Old 03-30-2006, 02:14 PM

Well, it doesn't mention a rake on the pots so consider it a 365 day time charge.

No idea how that will pay everyone's salaries though.

Greg
Old 03-30-2006, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They claim to comply with section 22-1704 of the DC criminal code which allows for "social poker games" but not games of chance. They claim poker is legal but that the district enforces a losses recover statute on losses >$25. Therefore they screen all applicants and bar any that try to claim losses from other members.

It looks like a private club that does not allow direct money transactions and has nice accomidations including "a stunning staff of all female dealers." Games of all levels playing 7 stud, limit and NL holdem.

They also claim to have a once a month invitation only tourney with a WSOP "celeb" playing.

Could be interesting
Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

So I decided to actually look at 22-1704

[ QUOTE ]
Whoever shall in the District set up or keep any gaming table, or any house, vessel, or place, on land or water, for the purpose of gaming, or gambling device commonly called A B C, faro bank, E O, roulette, equality, keno, thimbles, or little joker, or any kind of gaming table or gambling device adapted, devised, and designed for the purpose of playing any game of chance for money or property, or shall induce, entice, and permit any person to bet or play at or upon any such gaming table or gambling device, or on the side of or against the keeper thereof, shall be punished by imprisonment for a term of not more than 5 years. For the purposes of this section, the term "gambling device" shall not include slot machines manufactured before 1952, intended for exhibition or private use by the owner, and not used for gambling purposes. The term "slot machine" means a mechanical device, an essential part of which is a drum or reel which bears an insignia and which when operated may deliver, as a result of the application of an element of chance, a token, money, or property, or by operation of which a person may become entitled to receive, as a result of this application of an element of chance, a token, money, or property.

[/ QUOTE ]

section 1707 provides this definition so there is no question that a poker game constitues a gaming table

[ QUOTE ]
All games, devices, or contrivances at which money or any other thing shall be bet or wagered shall be deemed a gaming table within the meaning of §§ 22- 1704 to 22-1706; and the courts shall construe said sections liberally, so as to prevent the mischief intended to be guarded against.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see from that section how they conclude that what they are conducting is legal. I'm also not sure what they mean by a social game of poker and why they think there game constitutes one.

I have not looked at any case law on the subject, but clealry the statute does not on its face say what the operators of this game claim it says.