Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2006, 02:41 AM

Default Well I quit... (Long, LC)

Cliff notes: Just because you run 2.7bb/100 over 67,000 hands doesn't mean you are a winning player

Nice knowing you guys etc. I just ran -12bb/100 over a few hundred hands for the like 20th time this month. My bankroll and patience is shot is shot ($900).

I'm terrible at poker. Despite making a few thousand at it this year, I can no longer beat the games.

I've been losing since feb 12. About 46,000 hands. I'm just sick of this. I totally lost confidence in my game. Everything I do feels wrong.

This especially sucks because I've dedicated the last 6 months of my life to learning poker, and now have pretty much no life and nothing to do, nor do I have money to spend to do anything, as the money I made was spent paying bills. This situation really sucks, but I don't see anything else to do. I can't beat the game, even microlimits.

I wholeheartedly believe at this point that the 70,000 hands of profitable poker I played before this was purely a fluke, and I'm in the .0000001% who run good for that long but are actually losing players.

I totally realize that the 6-max stats I posted mean NOTHING, they are just here for completeness of hands played since february 12. Running .45bb/100 over 43,000 hands is strictly unacceptable, especially compared to what I used to, and how good I thought I was. When I'm playing the game for income and to support myself, having multiple months where I gross $100 or so despite playing 10s of thousands of hands is just stupid.

I understand that playing 2/4 for income is stupid, but I'm a pretty low maintenance person, still in college etc. So I don't need much to survive. But 2/4 should be beatable for 2+bb/100, not .45bb/100 after beating it for 2 for a period of time.

Not much point in playing poker if you don't make money doing it. It's certainly not fun to sit around and click buttons on a screen for hours at a time and have nothing to show for that. If I wanted to do that, I'd go play first person shooters, which are actually remotely fun
--------
After:

----------------
March Specifically

--------
Before:

Time to find something else to occupy the 20ish hours a week I dedicated to the game, with no money to spend [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. School is easy this semester, so there's not much point dedicating more time to studies, since I've got an A in all of my classes this semester. I don't know what else to do.

All well, nice knowing you guys.

Flame away!
Old 03-30-2006, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Well I quit... (Long, LC)

Take comfort in that this is nothing new...

The Long Run - QTip's post at SS just a couple months ago.

[ QUOTE ]
If anything, this whole experience of being a pro has shown me how critical a bankroll really is. So, I'm posting this to highlight how long the long run really is. I'm at about 650k SS full ring hands now. I'm constantly amazed at how the 100k hands stretches differ from one another. I'm a much better player than I was in my first 100k, and my winrate in my first 100k was over 1.0 bb/100 larger than my last 100k before this 95k breakeven stretch. So, enough talk about 50k hands this or that, or 100k hands this or that. I think there's more luck in this game than most of us are giving credit.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-30-2006, 02:51 AM

I'm sure he plays much higher limits where a lot less dead money is present. I'm at tables with multiple 50/0/0's and can't win
Old 03-30-2006, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure he plays much higher limits where a lot less dead money is present. I'm at tables with multiple 50/0/0's and can't win

[/ QUOTE ]

Not as high as you might imagine...

[ QUOTE ]
I'm am now pulling out of a 485 BB downswing. I've heard of other larger downswings from winning 6m players, but not from Full Ring. (However, I do know a 15/30 player that went on a 600BB downswing, and he's been playing pro for quite some time and still does.) The swing took place over 50,000 hands of 2/4 and 5/10, 25,000 hands of each.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The majority of this stretch had a SF% of 32.42 and an average pot size of 6.57BB. This is the 2/4 section.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-30-2006, 03:08 AM

Yah, he's confident of his game, and feels good about it.

I don't. Especially not anymore.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:34 AM

i know you're saying you're quitting, but if you ever want to play again,

fold SB more to steals
fold BB less to steals
tighten way up in UTG (i have no idea how you're running 27 vpip at 6-max and folding your BB to steals 70% of the time so im assuming you're just way too loose in nonblind positions).

anyway try to play at about 24/16.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:35 AM

Jennifer Harman broke even through whole year of live 20/40 games in Vegas when she was first starting out.

Howard Lederer has gone on record saying he was a losing player for the first 2 years he played poker, despite constant study.

By the sound of it you have been playing for 6 months and losing for 2. It happens, get back on the horse.

Or don't.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:45 AM

Dquinlan, it's more than "win 4 months, lose 2"

I've played more hands this month than I did all of last year.

The only time I've been profitable this year was when I was playing beginner tables. I didn't mention this before.

I ran bad at 3/6 back in december, and dropped down (you can see this in the graphs). Party had certain offers become available, so I figured I'd 8-table beginner tables for 45 days and build up a roll. Beginner tables are easily, so I obviously made money. February 12 is right about the time beginning tables ended, and happens to be my birthday, which is why I picked this day as the cutoff. And I've been losing ever since.

And miles, yes I know my 6-max stats are terrible, there's a reason I don't play 6-max anymore: I suck at it.

I make so many mistakes in my game recently, and I can see myself making them. For example the KK hand I posted recently. The obvious play is to fold on the turn, but of course I waste 2 more bets calling down, not because I'm tilting, but just because I'm bad. My preflop is bad, especially in shorthanded situations. I'm just awful in general. Not counting beginner tables, I haven't won in 4 months.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:53 AM

Well, I still say keep at it.

Sh*t happens, and by reading your posts you know what you are doing.

My 2BB worth.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I still say keep at it.

Sh*t happens, and by reading your posts you know what you are doing.

My 2BB worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

What posts? I think I've been wrong/in disagreement with the pros something like 8/10 posts [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]