Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2006, 09:24 PM

Default Pair of aces on monochrome flop

This is my first post on a specific hand; I only have 2000 hands in online but I figure I should doing more of this. BB is 11/6.2/2.58 after 830 hands, no solid information on any other villains. I feel like I'm always confused as to how to proceed on a monochrome flop. Thoughts are appreciated.

Party Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks.

Turn: (2 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO calls, Hero folds...
Old 01-08-2006, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Pair of aces on monochrome flop

Bet the flop, for pity's sake. Failing that, bet the turn. You've got top pair, and no one's showing any strength: what exactly are you afraid of?
Old 01-08-2006, 09:44 PM

Bet. All day every day, bet this flop OOP. If you get raised, start worrying about a made flush (but it's more likely to be a draw).

The way you played it, I'm raising the turn. If BB has K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q, he'd play like this, and you're just setting money on fire by folding. In fact, I doubt either BB or CO have you beaten right now, but when the flop checked through BB decided that nobody wanted the pot and he'd take a stab at it.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:46 PM

Preflop - ok

Flop - I would lead out here; the monotone flop will scare evryone else too and many times a bet here picks up the pot. Even if it doesn't you don't want to give free cards here. I think if you lead out the rest will play differently. Unless another club falls I'd keep firing unless you get raised in which case I call down for 1 bet (if only 3 clubs are on the board) and fold for 2 bets.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:55 PM

*Grunch*

I think folding the turn is bad here. BB is more likely to be betting a king, a lone club, or just trying to steal than a hand that beats you. I would also consider betting the turn.

edit: and by consider, I meant bet.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:13 PM

Thanks everyone. My play felt disgustingly weak here, and it's good to get confirmation.

Conclusion:

River: (4 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 6 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 7h Qc (flush, ace high).
CO has Ah 4s (one pair, aces).
Outcome: BB wins 6 BB. </font>

Pathetic. I really need to stop freezing up when 3 to a flush hits.