Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2006, 11:33 AM

Default Position Question?

One question about position. I make a very specific point of sitting to the right of the tight players and to the left of the looser ones. However, I don't know when to pull the trigger on borderline hands against these guys preflop.

For example: I am on the button everyone folds to CO who is semi loose and raises too much say over 12% of the time. What are your min hand requirement to 3 bet, or would you consider cold calling. I know the obvious 3 bets and I know the obvious folds but I need a range in the middle becuse i usually need AQo or AJs or better to 3 bet. I am very inclined to fold hands without an ace like KQo or KJo and lower suited hands like QJs. On occasion i will 3 bet with AJo or ATo but not consistantly Had he not raised I would have raised but since he did I tend to fold.

Same thing when im on the SB. Everyone folds to same guy who raises. Not much of a difference but now I have lost my position. Let me know, and thanks for the help.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Position Question?

I am not really confident about my 3 betting strategy vs. possible steals, so hope that there are plenty of responses to this question.

A player who raises prf 12% probably raises >25% from the CO when folded to. I loosen up a reasonable amount, but like to choose showdownable hands to 3-bet; 44, A6s, A8 sort of hands.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:32 PM

You're really likely to end up HU with position vs someone with a big range in the CO. You will find him checking and folding the flop a lot when he misses because of the strength you showed pf. This gives you a lot of leeway.

The following I would think are a minimum and you could easily add more:

77+
A6s+
AT+
K8s+
KJ+
QTs+
QJ+
JTs
Old 03-29-2006, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're really likely to end up HU with position vs someone with a big range in the CO. You will find him checking and folding the flop a lot when he misses because of the strength you showed pf. This gives you a lot of leeway.

The following I would think are a minimum and you could easily add more:

77+
A6s+
AT+
K8s+
KJ+
QTs+
QJ+
JTs

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a good chart...don't bother raising low offsuit As or Ks, I still don't think its worth it unless the guy will raise EVERY time in the CO. If you are on the button, he is not stealing anything from you if you fold.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:42 AM

Now this is a range for when you are on the button against an aggressive player in the CO or one before the CO. What about in the small blind? Same loose player in the CO or on the button makes an opening raise. What hands will you take off being out of position?

If a TAG were to make this play would you be more inclined to let more hands go?
Old 03-30-2006, 02:30 AM

You should be looking mainly to isolate loose limpers by raising yourself. 3-betting somebody who already raised is much trickier.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If a TAG were to make this play would you be more inclined to let more hands go?

[/ QUOTE ]

A TAG is more likely to have raised light, but is also more likely to put you to the test postflop, especially as he has position.

I need a decent hand to play back from SB, unless this player is overstealing. In that situation I sometimes check/call to showdown with an Ace or medium pair. This might calm him down a bit and everytime he chooses not to steal, it lets me do it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].