Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2006, 11:08 AM

Default (109 6m) - Two hands

Early in a $109 6 max. Towards the end of level 1 I raise two hands in a row and showdown KJo and JJ. Then I fold the next two hands. Then I open-raise the following two and take it down preflop. I've never played with any of these players before so I highly doubt they had any read on me, but probably now thought I was overly aggro preflop. Now these two hands immediately follow.

<font color="blue"> Hand 1 </font>

PartyPoker $109 Regular Tournament, Big Blind is t60 (5 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t2410)
Hero (t2030)
Button (t3830)
SB (t1635)
BB (t2095)

Preflop: Hero is in CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls t60, <font color="red">Hero raises to t200</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, <font color="red">UTG raises to t1455</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>

UTG seems way too loose. His vpip was over 70 but it had only been 20 hands or so. He is surely just an overall bad player though. Does anyone not like raising preflop here after having raised 4 out of the last 6 hands? If we get played back at how much should we be discrediting them?

<font color="blue"> Hand 2 </font>

PartyPoker $109 Regular Tournament, Big Blind is t60 (5 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Hero (t1830)
CO (t3830)
Button (t1605)
SB (t2035)
BB (t2700)

Preflop: Hero is in UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero calls t60, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, SB calls t30, BB checks

Flop: (t180) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players)
<font color="red">SB bets t70</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, Hero calls t70

Turn: (t320) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">SB bets t80</font>

After that last hand I felt raising preflop would be a mistake. I didn't feel like getting pushed around again. Plan for this turn? Seems like it should be easy to steal the pot here. Raise the flop instead?
Old 03-29-2006, 03:14 PM

Default Re: (109 6m) - Two hands

Hand 1: I still like the raise, even w/ your image. Depending on the villain, you are probably ahead of his range, but I would wait for a better spot to get all my chips in the pot.

Hand 2: I raise PF, even given your image. If somebody comes over the top of you again, then you'll have to slow down considerably. Still, in general, I don't like to fall into the thinking that I have to slow down just because I seem overly aggressive. If I get 10 good hands in a row, I will raise every single one.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:38 PM

Default Re: (109 6m) - Two hands

First hand is a fold.

Second hand you have to raise pf and the flop. Probs the turn too, but given how you got there a call isn't so bad at that point.