Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2006, 02:23 AM

Default Unions made our nation strong?

So, I work at an airline. I'm in the corporate safety department working as an industrial hygienist. I'm considered "management", but it's probably only because I'm not in a union.

I have an undergraduate degree in chemistry, and an MBA. Later this summer, I plan to sit for my Certified Safety Professional exam (probably equivalent to a CPA for the safety field), and in a couple of years, I'll be qualified to sit for the Certified Industrial Hygienist exam (like a CPA, but for the IH field). Both certifications require educational and experience requirements to qualify for pretty rigorous examinations. Both are directly related to what I and my department do.

I will never be the vice president of safety for my company. Not because I plan to leave soon, and not because there are loads of more qualified candidates ahead of me in the department. I will never rise above director in this department because by contract, the vp has to be a pilot (and a part of the pilot's union). the justification is that flight safety (this concerns aircraft damage, etc anytime the plane is in the air, essentially) is a part of the group, and pilots are supposed to know about this aspect. The reality is that pilots are not safety professionals, flight safety is a small component of the group (it also includes ground safety which is any safety concern, Industrial Hygiene and environmental), but the pilot's union has the company by the short and curlys.

i'm a little pissed at this revelation, but i've never worked in a union shop before, so maybe it's just the way it is.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Unions made our nation strong?

The title is misleading rhetoric/demagoguery, and this bitter rant belongs in politics.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:25 AM

how is it politics?
Old 03-29-2006, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how is it politics?

[/ QUOTE ]

look at your title, and look at how it has nothing to do with your situation.

gg baiter.

pilots have more training than you and are likely smarter
Old 03-29-2006, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but the pilot's union has the company by the short and curlys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy, impeccable [censored] timing you have huh? To make a statment like this at this time is ludicrous . NWA just ass [censored] their pilots for a 59% pay cut and now they will be pawning routes off to a 'subsidiary' carrier where pilots will be paid <$20G/year. I know guys with over 13 years of service to the company who are [censored] out of luck. Not to mention mechanics whose lives are completely [censored] over. Oh yeah the CEO cashed 25 million in stock options 3 days before they filed banko.

I'm not a big pro-union guy in general but NWA [censored] thousands of people, not to mention [censored] the taxpayers of the state of MN a few years back as well. kwitcherbitchin! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2006, 02:36 AM

Why is this in OOT?
Old 03-29-2006, 02:37 AM

What does your personal experience have to do with the overall experience of union workers? Your post title is badly misleading and your post itself lacks content.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What does your personal experience have to do with the overall experience of union workers? Your post title is badly misleading and your post itself lacks content.

[/ QUOTE ]

basically repeated what i said, but that's fine.

it just sounds like m2d is bitter at being a paper pusher and not having real important training like pilots do. how much good has that chem degree done you?