Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2006, 04:45 PM

Default An idea that I proposed to Lee Jones

Earlier this year Lee PM'd me looking for an opinion on how rakeback compares to PokerStars VIP/FPP program. After discussing the situation with him I proposed the idea of offering a monthly bonus similar to rakeback to the supernovas. The idea was that each supernova would be given a monthly bonus which would be determined by the amount that he had been playing previous months. Then, if the player obtained a certain number of points that month he would get the bonus. The bonuses would have to be substantial though, so that they were comparable to rakeback. For example, perhaps in the range of $1000-$1500 for a player who plays 30k hands of 5/10 6 max. Or something similar to that. If this was implemented how would you react?
Old 03-28-2006, 04:50 PM

Default Re: An idea that I proposed to Lee Jones

Why not just offer rakeback? If you're looking to intice players to play more, how about offering a teired payout rakeback system?
Old 03-28-2006, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not just offer rakeback? If you're looking to intice players to play more, how about offering a teired payout rakeback system?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well one thing is that, from stars perspective, this ensures that their players play a certain amount each month.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:57 PM

What about lower VIP players?? Silver, Gold, Plat.????
Old 03-28-2006, 04:58 PM

Or it ensures players who know they will not meet the monthly target to play at other sites which do offer rakeback.

I really do not like the idea of hit or miss monthly bonuses as opposed to a commision like compensatory bonus such as rakeback.

I think most players will agree and will go for RB over monthly bonus any day.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:03 PM

I'd love it but I don't play at levels anywhere near supernova. I just moved my ring play to 'stars last week and it looks like I'll be a solid silver with perhaps a few months of gold sprinkled in.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:04 PM

I voted for the middle one.

Although really I'm a combination of the 3rd choice and 5th choice.

My thoughts would read more like:
"I currently play occasionally at Stars and this would encourage me to switch more of my play to Stars." Something like that anyway.

I've been playing almost zilcho on their ring-games of late. But I play occasional tourneys and/or satellites.

Adjustments to their program would encourage me to switch more of my play over to them.

however, I would want to KNOW what kind of incentives I can expect to receive from Stars BEFORE I put in my 100k raked-hands to reach supernova (unlike the Party VIP club where you don't know what kind of offer they are going to give you).

There's little chance that I'll try to make supernova without knowing what is on the other side of those 100k raked-hands.

FWIW - I was optimistic about the VIP club on Stars and I still think it's a decent idea. But, like many others, I kind of burned-out on it and don't think it's the best of my available options. I only have 5800 VPP's this year.
I don't think it compares favorably enough to RB on many of the other sites.

I have only 200 VPP's this month and am not really that motivated to try to reach silver or other status again.

I'm always willing to change my mind though.

Also - more than 1 point for hands that reach max-rake would be nice.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about lower VIP players?? Silver, Gold, Plat.????

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-28-2006, 05:18 PM

This is why this program is not really comparible to rakeback. Players who play games that hit the $3 rake over and over are getting less of a % then 2/4 players who will rarely find a raked hand over $1.

It's a great idea that hopefully will be expanded on. Stars is a great place and IMO is poised to kick the crap out of Party with the right marketing in the coming months.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this is probably the best and easiest idea for Stars to grab on to. Giving out VPPs/FPPs proportional to the rake taken out of the pot would do wonders for getting mid/high stakes players to play at Stars a lot more frequently as it would make Stars' system much more comparable to the normal rakeback given at other sites.

Granted I don't have the numbers to make solid analysis of the costs and benefits to Stars, but I have to imagine there will be some rate where the increased number of players and tables being played will more than compensate for the rake being given back to those players. I'm sure the minds behind PokerStars could come up with a system that would clearly benefit everyone except Stars' competitors.