Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2006, 02:48 PM

Default Improving my game

I've been playing for a while and have managed to make a little here and there but I have hit a downswing and want to address my leaks now because my stats have remained pretty much the same since I started. I need some general stratigies for anyone who wants to tackle this one. Looking for players who at some point in their poker career had similar stats and improved them.

ALL $3/ $6 stats

1. VPIP: Im at 15.5%, I want it at 18%. Looking for a little more than see more hands. You pros know what hands a 15.5% player is seeing what do I need to add to get this to 18%

2. PFR%: Im at about 5.75% would like to get it to 8%. Same as above, what hands should I be raising more with that Im not. I do have a tendancy to only raise in the blinds with premium hands, i don't play well out of position. I do attempt steals about 28% of the time.

3. AF: its low for a winning player: flop: 1.9 Turn: 1.7 River: 1.8. I feel I play aggressively but obviously its not enough. I play a little losser than fit or fold depending on the amount of people in the pot and how big the pot is. semi - loose aggressive players give me the most trouble.

All the rest of my stats fall in the range of the AKA Tiger Woods stats post for 3/6 players.

Hoping their is someone out there whostarted out with stats like mine and improved, if you strated out looser and more aggressive you probably don't know where im coming from. But any help is appreciated.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Improving my game

[ QUOTE ]
1. VPIP: Im at 15.5%, I want it at 18%. Looking for a little more than see more hands. You pros know what hands a 15.5% player is seeing what do I need to add to get this to 18%

[/ QUOTE ]
Loosen up on the button and in CO. When there are lots of limpers you can play some junky implied odds hands because you have the advantage of position.

[ QUOTE ]
2. PFR%: Im at about 5.75% would like to get it to 8%. Same as above, what hands should I be raising more with that Im not. I do have a tendancy to only raise in the blinds with premium hands, i don't play well out of position. I do attempt steals about 28% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
You could steal a little bit more, but not too much. Try isolating limpers with hands like AJ/AT/KJ/77 if the table will fold behind you to a raise. If they won't, then raise more in position with hands like JTs, KQo, A9s and other hands that are looking to flop stong draws as well as a pair.

[ QUOTE ]
3. AF: its low for a winning player: flop: 1.9 Turn: 1.7 River: 1.8. I feel I play aggressively but obviously its not enough. I play a little losser than fit or fold depending on the amount of people in the pot and how big the pot is. semi - loose aggressive players give me the most trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]
Raise more? I have no idea for this one and wouldn't worry about it. In fact, I think what you should really be thinking about instead of this stat and all others is about how to play specific situations. Read through your hands and find some examples that might lead to these stats and post them for analysis.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:31 PM

Isolate weak players. JKo, A9o, A5s, 77, etc all become great hands when you can play headsup verses a moron.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isolate weak players. JKo, A9o, A5s, 77, etc all become great hands when you can play headsup verses a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you precisely identify a weak player with PT / Acehud?

Which technical data are you looking at, to identify a weak player and in what range is good?

Is it postflop aggression factor you are looking for? Like if hes below 1 in postflop aggression, he's willing to fold, and we can often use position on those guys?
Old 03-28-2006, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it postflop aggression factor you are looking for? Like if hes below 1 in postflop aggression, he's willing to fold, and we can often use position on those guys?

[/ QUOTE ]

A person who is willing to fold rather than call down will have a *higher* AF than one who calls down regularly.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:00 PM

How many tables are you playing? When I'm doing any more than 6 the hands I limp tend to drop as I don't play as many marginal hands(like Kxs in late etc)

Frogic
Old 03-28-2006, 10:03 PM

When i am playing 3/6 I usually only play 2 - 3

When I drop down too 2/4 and 1/2 for bonus clearin i will play 3 - 5
Old 03-28-2006, 10:10 PM

Thanks alot for all of your responses. I'm not a huge fan of posting specific hands because all situations are unique based on the players your against. I was just looking for some general concepts which all of you have given me and again thanks for the help.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:30 PM

One more question. I make a very specific point of sitting to the right of the tight players and to the left of the looser ones. However, I don't know when to pull the trigger on borderline hands against these guys preflop.

For example: I am on the button everyone folds to CO who is semi loose and raises too much say over 12% of the time. What are your min hand requirement to 3 bet, or would you consider cold calling. I know the obvious 3 bets and I know the obvious folds but I need a range in the middle becuse i usually need AQo or AJs or better to 3 bet. I am very inclined to fold hands without an ace like KQo or KJo and lower suited hands like QJs. On occasion i will 3 bet with AJo or ATo but not consistantly Had he not raised I would have raised but since he did I tend to fold.

Same thing when im on the SB. Everyone folds to same guy who raises. Not much of a difference but now I have lost my position. Let me know, and thanks for the help.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing for a while and have managed to make a little here and there but I have hit a downswing and want to address my leaks now because my stats have remained pretty much the same since I started. I need some general stratigies for anyone who wants to tackle this one. Looking for players who at some point in their poker career had similar stats and improved them.

ALL $3/ $6 stats

I suffer from this one as well and am stuggling to find the prifitable situation I am missing...These are my thought about myself so they may fit you...

EP..I fail to recognize table texture and fold such hands as Axs,meduim SCs(9Ts,89s) and smaller pairs(77-44) when the tables conditions would make such hands profitable(marginally so)

MP...Semi steal raise with med pairs and limping in with SCs when not fearing a raise and the small blind is loose..

LP...Steal more and calling often with Med pairs and larger SCs when pot will likely be multi way...Folding too many hands from button or CO when facing a raise from either the hijack or CO in which case it maybe a steal raise..

Blinds..My blind play I feel is very weak...At 3/6 I feel you should be playing very few hands from the SB you need to put in almost a full bet and are OOP the entire hand..I need to defend my blinds more often against possible steal raises...

This one should be easy to "correct"..Raise more weak opponents from LP..From MP hardly ever open limp...Widen your raising hands from LP(this is most likely the biggest)...

These numbers may indicate your are calling to many bets in unprofitable situations...You also may be putting off flop raises in order to get in a raise on later streets or you fear losing customers with a raise....You may also be missing raises that you should be putting in because you are now fearing the outdraw(your downswing)...Maybe calling to often with UI overcards and getting caught paying off to the end...

Not in your post but you may want to look and your won$ at showdown%...I found this to be a weakness of mine..

All the rest of my stats fall in the range of the AKA Tiger Woods stats post for 3/6 players.

Hoping their is someone out there whostarted out with stats like mine and improved, if you strated out looser and more aggressive you probably don't know where im coming from. But any help is appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry do not know why there are no spaces in between your post and my comments