Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2006, 01:56 PM

Location: My Avatar is Cursed for my Teams. Please don\'t curse my burger.
Default So, here it finally is, tell me your thoughts on my plan.

I work on Wall Street, in a marketing/business development role. I have been with the organization in various capacities for 5 years.

I hate working.

Ever since Poker, or rather ever since I started making good money in Poker, it has been increasingly hard to find a reason to be here. I never envisioned myself a life long suit and tie guy, but a few years ago I had actually been resigned to this fact.

My theory was that, although I have some passions, music, media and gambling. I wasn't particularily talented enough to make them my career. I was in a serious relationship and perhaps I could be happy working in a job that wasn't great, but good enough for me to pay the bills, not be miserable etc.

But, fast forward about 2 years, and all I can think about is leaving. I have no idea what I want to do. I certainly don't want to be a Poker Pro, but I also don't want to work right away. I want to take some time off, start a content based music site, perhaps invest in some bands, get a few records out, etc. I also want to have some downtime, where I devote myself to getting in shape, taking some artsy classes, traveling, etc.

I want to quit. I think I need a kick in the ass. Because it's too easy to tread water in corporate america and at 28, I'm sick of it. I'm sick of coming to work, and hoping there is an amusing thread to keep me occupied, while I neglect menial tasks at work I have no interest in. It's gotten to the point, where I feel as if I have to quit because I could totally see me generating ill will with my colleagues, and they are all good people who have been good to me.

But it is also, "irresponsible". I have a good resume, I think, but all my jobs have been rather specific to an industry I don't particularily enjoy. I have one years worth of salary saved up. A solid 401k, and chunk of stock thats worth about 10k. And that's not including my bankroll, and if I ever win at poker again (this may debateble as I havent found myself playing well since the cruise).

So my plan is, to talk to my boss, he knows some aspects about my life, and he's a really good dude, so I want to give him a solid heads up, and leave around my 5 year anniversary in May. (My pension vests, and I get about $300 a month when I am 55).

What do you guys think about this? I'd like to hear from the guys who work, like El D, Paluka, Dave, Stox, etc. But obviously, I'd like to hear what the rest of you say.

Ok guys, what do you think?
Old 03-28-2006, 01:59 PM

Default Re: So, here it finally is, tell me your thoughts on my plan.

I think being a poker pro is a myth for most people. If you can afford to take some time off, do it. It sounds like you're having the late-twenties identity crisis that so many of us go through.

Are you seeing anybody? Is having a family of any interest to you?
Old 03-28-2006, 01:59 PM

Any chance your boss would let you work part-time? Maybe you don't even want to consider this, but it might worth looking at, if possible.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:02 PM

Matty,

http://www.quarterlifecrisis.com/forum
Old 03-28-2006, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think being a poker pro is a myth for most people. If you can afford to take some time off, do it. It sounds like you're having the late-twenties identity crisis that so many of us go through.

Are you seeing anybody? Is having a family of any interest to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is currently no serious relationship going on. But yes, I want a wife and kids and stuff.

It's not so much a crisis, I've known all along that this was not my ideal, but I worked because I had to. Student loans/rent/credit card debt.

That's all gone. I don't have to be here.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Matty,

http://www.quarterlifecrisis.com/forum

[/ QUOTE ]

haha. [censored]. you guys know how I eat, no way I am living up to 74, let alone 104.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:04 PM

Matty,

Wow.

Ok, I'm not one of the big guys on this site, but I'd like to think I offer up the ocassional nugget of wisdom.

First off, you are pretty much responsibility free correct? You have money in the bank, got all your affairs in order to the point where you can disappear for a year or so from Corp America and be ok. That's pretty awesome in and of itself.

You are in prime position to start up your own company. What specifically about the music scene do you think you would excel in?

Have you maintained your contacts in the industry? If you haven't, how hard will it be for you to break back in?

How much research have you done into pursuing this new path?

(side note: Goddamn, I envy you dude. Don't let any of these young kids tell you otherwise, doing this is a huge [censored] step and it takes balls)
Old 03-28-2006, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any chance your boss would let you work part-time? Maybe you don't even want to consider this, but it might worth looking at, if possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I work for a major company, they used to have leave of absences, that has since been discontinued, same with part time, only for family/medical reasons.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:05 PM

Then you're ahead of most people our age. It sounds like you already kind of have a plan in place, go with it. I don't think there's anything irresponsible about it at all. Your mental, phyiscal, and emotional health is the most important thing you have.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:07 PM

IndieMatty - 5 Words: New York Knicks Ball Boy.

-Al