Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2006, 12:21 PM

Default I have a maniac table image!

Lost a buy-in in 6-max table in NL50 yesterday to a guy who has maybe the worst player that I've seen in a long time. Found him also today, and sat on his left. Basically he limps to 75% of pots and calls any normal sized raise. Can't drop A3 hand agains pre-flop aggressor, if the A has hit etc.. I started to isolate him heavily, and after 100 hands I finally had his stack. He left the table, but my heavy raising caused me another problem. My pre-flop raising had no respect in the table at all. I raised with AQs from MP and the whole table was calling my raises!

If a was a smart guy, I would have left the table, but I'm apparently not. Flops stopped hitting, and my CBs were called almost always HU, so had no respect at all. My stack started to get thinner, and soon I had dropped close to buy-in.

How should I play in this kind of situation? Naturally I dropped all blind stealing with mediocore hands etc., but what hands should I raise then? I could be a stone cold rock and raise only the monster hands or maybe raise something tricky like 98s and get almost whole table to see the flop with huge implied odds?
Old 03-28-2006, 12:23 PM

Default Re: I have a maniac table image!

I started to type a response on how to play against this table, but decided to say this instead: from my experience the chances of going on month-long tilt are higher than the chances of leaving a short-term winner from that table. Just get up and leave.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:26 PM

once you stacked your target, you set out your goal. staying at the table was the first problem.
once you saw that your PFR had no respect then you need to switch gears, and tighten up. play tier 1 hands for a raise, and limp with quality hands. this way you will confuse your opponents, and with your big stack, should easily be able to stack your opponent on the right board.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:31 PM

I seriously dont get why staying at the table was a problem. Someone please explain. Its pretty obvious at this point that OP should really tighten down and let the table play back at him when he has a hand.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:37 PM

his LAG image made other tablemates lose respect for his raise. once your PFR does not allow you to steal blinds in 6-max, then it is time to find a better table. 6max is all about stealing blinds, and stealing small pots with cbets. IMHO
Old 03-28-2006, 12:44 PM

become loose preflop and rock postflop.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
his LAG image made other tablemates lose respect for his raise. once your PFR does not allow you to steal blinds in 6-max, then it is time to find a better table. 6max is all about stealing blinds, and stealing small pots with cbets. IMHO

[/ QUOTE ]

Im sorry but this is just wrong. People dont have respect for your PFR is not a bad thing. Hero just need to adjust accordingly. Saying he should leave the table, where he has set up a perfect situation for him take some more big pots is just ludicrous. Would you tell him to move up in stakes because the donks at his current stakes dont respect his raises?
Old 03-28-2006, 12:56 PM

I think you answered your own question. It is not really desired to have a maniac image because it eliminates your ability to take down small pots and bluff. The best image to have is slightly loose aggressive but not getting out of line. In your case, you are obviously perceived as getting out of line. Depends how you look at it, this is a good thing. You should play big pot poker by gearing down and playing premium hands pre-flop. While 98s still seems like a nice hand to play, in this situation you are going to get yourself in trouble unless you hit the flop huge. Your opponents are ready to gamble with very marginal hands and your ability to read if they are strong or not is very limited. I went through a stage where I raised 50% of pots preflop and somehow still made money at the 50NL level, I have no clue how. The adjustments I made included controlling my image and not getting out of line. The second the table perceives you as getting out of line is the time to start playing ABC poker.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im sorry but this is just wrong. People dont have respect for your PFR is not a bad thing. Hero just need to adjust accordingly. Saying he should leave the table, where he has set up a perfect situation for him take some more big pots is just ludicrous. Would you tell him to move up in stakes because the donks at his current stakes dont respect his raises?

[/ QUOTE ]

your comment makes no sense to what i said and is a pure combative arguement that isnt based on anything that came from my post.
his ability to take big pots based on his current image depends on his ability to play post flop. OP states his big stack became thin, implying his post flop play was subpar and thus -EV.

get over yourself.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:59 PM

I believe hero should have stayed at table and simply tightened up. This is a good situation to be in. If he simply started playing premium hands, post-flop would be pretty simple. If hero can't play premium hands post-flop against loose passive players, he should sign up for the next available pyramid scheme.