Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2006, 11:26 AM

Default Question about limping in SH

Im a .50/1.00 Party Poker 6-max player, and yesterday I did something really stupid... I decided to play an hour or so at 3/6 shorthanded. I was down a hundred bucks in a matter of minutes. I rebought and after an hour, I actually broke even.

Its a totally different game. Wow. Noboday limps, and no betting round is ever checked through. It took me a while to get the hang of it, and I thought it was a great learning experience, but a little stupid in hindsight, as I was clearly the worst player there.

So my question is... now that I go back to my .50/1.00 6-max tables, will that style of play work at my level? I mean if someone will call down and not raise with top pair top kicker am I right to keep betting so aggressively? But my real question (I know thats what yall are thinking...) is,

in a game where lots of players limp, and few fold preflop, so you really need to raise hands like A8o (with three limpers) from the button? What about KT (with two limpers) from the CO? What about 99 in the big blind, do we raise into four limpers? Or can I just take a cheap/free flop and go from there?

Your advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Question about limping in SH

[ QUOTE ]
So my question is... now that I go back to my .50/1.00 6-max tables, will that style of play work at my level? I mean if someone will call down and not raise with top pair top kicker am I right to keep betting so aggressively?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends. If they will also call down with king high then yes you should absolutely be aggressive. The hardest thing is realizing that when a typical player shows aggression at 3/6 it can mean a lot of things but at .50/1 it means a very strong hand much more often, so you still need to be wary.

[ QUOTE ]
in a game where lots of players limp, and few fold preflop, so you really need to raise hands like A8o (with three limpers) from the button?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is closer to a fold than a raise imho. Limping may be ok.

[ QUOTE ]
What about KT (with two limpers) from the CO?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising here is better than the A8 situation as a pair of tens wins more often than a pair of 8's and you're less likely to be against a better king than a better ace when you have A8. Limping is also ok.

[ QUOTE ]
What about 99 in the big blind, do we raise into four limpers? Or can I just take a cheap/free flop and go from there?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can definitely take a cheap flop in that situation. TT is a must raise. 99 I could go either way on.