Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2006, 11:09 AM

Default I Hate Slow Playing - But Should We Do It Here?

Table has been tight and boring so far. Hands have been folded around to the blinds several times. VPIP for the table is 19% but the two opponents on this hand are the exceptions.

Villain one is loose agressive though 41/8 after 51 hands

Villain two is loose passive 32/2 after 43 hands

I hate slowplaying. But against these two opponents and the flopped flush, is this the hand to try it?

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, Button calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero?
Old 03-28-2006, 11:09 AM

Default Re: I Hate Slow Playing - But Should We Do It Here?

Bet
Old 03-28-2006, 11:11 AM

I'd check, hope for a bet and call to my left and then raise here on the flop. Also fire on turn and river and pray that they really want to see a showdown.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd check, hope for a bet and call to my left and then raise here on the flop. Also fire on turn and river and pray that they really want to see a showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bleh, we're the pre-flop raiser here. This will get checked through a decent % of the time.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:31 AM

That's true, I am always thinking of the best-case scenario; eg the LAG, who realizes our hero seems to be playing solid poker, will take a check as a sign of fear of the King/club draws and bet out.

I dunno, I still think a 41/8 is probably dumb enough to stab at this pot here.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dunno, I still think a 41/8 is probably dumb enough to stab at this pot here.

[/ QUOTE ]

He might also be dumb enough to raise...depends on how good he is. He might bet out this flop in your position so might expect you to.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bleh, we're the pre-flop raiser here. This will get checked through a decent % of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. However, really, the only way you are going to lose is if one of the villans flopped a set and the board pairs...so, I would slow-play. Check the flop. It will probably be checked around. Check the turn hoping for a bluff bet or stab at a made hand. Call and hope the 2nd villan sticks with it. Then, either bet out the river, or check raise the turn bettor if you are over 50% sure that he will fire again. In this situation, you are so far ahead on the flop, it is worth slowplaying if you think that your bet on the flop after the PFR will fold them out.

Here is a prime example:

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Mr. Tilt is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Mr. Tilt checks.

Flop: (3.00 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Mr. Tilt checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, SB calls, Mr. Tilt calls.

Turn: (3.00 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Mr. Tilt bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Mr. Tilt 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Mr. Tilt calls.

River: (11.00 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Mr. Tilt checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Mr. Tilt raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Mr. Tilt caps</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 19.00 BB.

So instead of walking away with maybe 3-5 SB, Mr. Tilt lit this fool up for a 10 BB profit.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:06 PM

Neither of your opponents will put you on a flopped flush so bet out. Hopefully a scare card can hit on the turn and you can go for a check-raise. Even very aggressive opponents aren't going to give you alot of action on a suited flop but they probably will call and if one of them has the Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] then you will get paid off the whole way.

I don't think the Mr. Tilt example applies because checking isn't likely to improve either villian to a good second-best hand. You would bet this flop if you didn't have a flush - so bet it now.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, really, the only way you are going to lose is if one of the villans flopped a set and the board pairs...so, I would slow-play. Check the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Check the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Good lord you watch too much poker on TV. Checking the flop is pretty dumb but whatever. Checking the flop AND the turn puts you in the Hall of Fame.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So instead of walking away with maybe 3-5 SB, Mr. Tilt lit this fool up for a 10 BB profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This example proves absolutely nothing. You would've been paid off either way.