Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2006, 04:32 AM

Default Shot at 5/10, 10BBs; take a wild guess how I was treated on the river

So I have a really good feeling about tonite, decide to throw 10BBs at PP 5/10 6 max, way over my head.

Yeah, why shouldn't a short stack call down with J7 middle pair 1st hand vs my TP, and make two pair on the river; why shouldn't the aggressive large stack fill up on the river vs my A9 after I bet the AAx flop and check the turn to induce a river bluff; why shouldn't AK call down to put me all-in on the turn with my 99 overpair to the dry board and hit his A on the river?

This was all within, like, 5 orbits. Lost to 8-1, 15-1, and 7-1 longshots, respectively.

/close all tables, concentrate on Sam Adams 6pack in fridge/
Old 03-28-2006, 04:43 AM

Default Re: Shot at 5/10, 10BBs; take a wild guess how I was treated on the ri

I laugh at anybody who buys into a table with 10 BBs or less, especially if there is loose change at the end indicating it is the full balance of the account.

In conclusion, I have never had a session of 6max that didn't begin with a 25 BB downswing, so buying in for that short of an amount at a 6max table is asking for trouble.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:05 AM

Thanks for the gratuitous, irrelevant advice. I am aware (as are 97.5% of the people reading this forum) of buy-in guidelines and how players respond to short stacks. How does your post relate to my mine? I was ahead in each hand. I wanted calls.

Maybe you can respond by lecturing me on how I shouldn't limp with KTo UTG.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:50 AM

-EV move (moving up) and you lost, standard.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Shot at 5/10, 10BBs; take a wild guess how I was treated on the river

I lost to similar longshots last night in one orbit. Kudos to you for walking away and letting Sam help you out.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:00 PM

Escape: I could afford the shot as an entertainment expense, and that's the spirit in which I spent the 10BB's. I got my money in on these hands when I was ahead: I wasn't outplayed, I was sucked out on. So, no, not a standard too-high-stakes crash and burn.

Again, thanks for all the ponderous, unwanted advice in what's supposed to be a light-hearted BBV forum.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Shot at 5/10, 10BBs; take a wild guess how I was treated on the river

[ QUOTE ]

/close all tables, concentrate on Sam Adams 6pack in fridge/

[/ QUOTE ]

Why no Samuel Jackson?

It'll get you drunk.

You'll be [censored] fat chicks in no time!

Yes they deserve to die, and I hope they burn in hell!

Did you hear me? They are got dammed snakes on the [censored] plane!!!
Old 03-28-2006, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you can respond by lecturing me on how I shouldn't limp with KTo UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd advise against this.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:57 PM

what's your problem? Do you really expect us to feel sorry for you? Thanks for your irrelevent, unwanted post. It was pretty funny. See, since I grew to not like you after reading the replies you wrote I lost all sympathy for you and now have sided w/ mr. J7o and AK (on a dry flop no less! the humaninty!)
Old 03-28-2006, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what's your problem? Do you really expect us to feel sorry for you? Thanks for your irrelevent, unwanted post. It was pretty funny. See, since I grew to not like you after reading the replies you wrote I lost all sympathy for you and now have sided w/ mr. J7o and AK (on a dry flop no less! the humaninty!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to amplify the snarkiness, but BBV is for low-content complaining, bragging, bullsh*tting, ribbing. It's supposed to be fun, and really should be a "no-go" zone for pathetic attempts at sounding impressive by reciting poker truisms that everyone already knew the first week they started playing, such as "don't buy in for only 10 BB's", or "don't play above your bankroll". There's plenty of room for that in the strategy forums.

I found it incredibly annoying and called them out on it. Sorry if I came off as arrogant. No, I really don't want anyone to feel sorry for me. It was a light-hearted variance/bad beat post. That's all.