Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2006, 06:11 PM

Default Live 3/5 with an Online Tourney Donk

3/5 at the Reno Hilton.

Table is full of tight players, but isnt particularly aggressive, so I have been limping in with Suited connectors/1 Gappers and trying to outflop/outplay the table.

Villain in this particular hand is a little on the loose aggressive side, and has been doing the most raising at the table. He does seem to make pretty good reads though, and can get away from hands.

Hero ($800) is UTG with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and Limps, 3 limps, SB completes, BB (Villain w/ about $700) Checks his option.

Flop A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($30 Pot)

Villain leads out for 20, Here raises to 60, 1 fold, then a player goes into the tank and eventually folds, 2 more folds, and Villain calls.

Turn A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) ($150 Pot)

Villain checks, Hero bets 150, Villain Calls.

River A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) ($450 pot)

Villain Check, and then hero checks.

Quick thoughts, I didnt bet the river because I didnt want to reopen bettin if he got crazy, in retrospect I think I should have bet about 1/2 the pot.

My biggest question is the flop play, after the hand, the table talked about my play, and the person who went into the tank said that if I had smooth called, he would have raise with his "Big Ace" and then I could have taken down a monster pot.

Should I have slowplayed the set there, or just play and hope someone has something good enough to play back at me with?

Thanks.

C-Dog
Old 03-27-2006, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Live 3/5 with an Online Tourney Donk

So he was making a crying call down with AK and you checked the river with a set?

Eww
Old 03-27-2006, 09:57 PM

Re: your question as to flop play, I think a call vs. raise is fairly table-dependent and image-dependent. If you suspect that someone behind you will raise a "big Ace" because they're LAG or donkish, a smooth call may not be a bad play; if the table is super-tight or the folks in LP are pretty TAG, then a raise may be the proper play. Also, if your image is LAG you may get more callers than you would if you're playing TAG or ABC.

I've played bottom set in this situation both ways depending on the situation with reasonable success. I love "stealth" hands like bottom set or OESFDs.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:09 PM

So you call, Big Ace raises to 80, you call. Turn pot 200. You c/r all in? Or do you move in on the flop? A raise on such a dry board from an UTG limper represents either AQ/AJ or a set. I don't see how he could have stacked off his 'big' Ace if you called and he raised, but folded if you already raised. Likely, you wouldn't get paid much either way.

But more importantly: why in the world did you check that river? Pretty much any bet has to be +EV here, and if you don't want to call a raise, bet it all in yourself. The more I think about it the more sense that makes, as he would raise a flush, 65 and perhaps a higher set, but likely just calls with two pair.

To have you beat, he has to have 88, Ax[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (maybe A4?), maybe 54[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. If he decided to pull a call semibluff in an unraised pot with a gutshot or two other hearts, pay the man. LAGs have a tendency to decide you must be bluffing..
Old 03-28-2006, 04:34 PM

Yeah, my river check was terrible. I would think that a bet of around 250 would be just about right.

C-Dog