Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2006, 11:35 AM

Default Computer Password

How safe is the password you use to log in to your computer? For example, if someone steals my laptop and i have a password before i can log in to my computer would i be in pretty good shape?

I am sure if some hacker gets a hold of my computer it would be trouble, but odds are it would be some low level crook. And by the time they found someone capable enough to hack the password i would have already changed all of my passwords.

thoughts?
Old 03-27-2006, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Computer Password

The password to login to Windows is not very safe. One time I forgot my password and I hacked into my own computer easily. Just need the right tools... I was able to reset my password from whatever it was to abc123 (or whatever, you get the idea)

You can get programs to put on your laptop, that if the crook ever tries to go online with it, it will tell you where your laptop is. That is of course, if the crook doesn't format it right away.

Can you just buy a lock for your laptop? I have one that hooks into my laptop and I can loop it around things.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:33 PM

You can easily boot into safe mode, log on as administrator, and remove the password from any user. This is provided you didn't password protect the administrator user that nearly no one password protects, or even knows exists.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:46 PM

thanks for the tips guys. I don't plan on getting my laptop stolen, but if it does i would like to be as protected as possible.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:10 AM

You need to set the password in bios is you want to remotely have a prayer.

Physical access to a machine is instant ownage, especially desktops. [brag]I can without question access anything on your desktop in under 5 minutes, no matter what you do[/brag]. Laptops might be a bit harder. Set a BIOS password.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:46 AM

Most motherboords have a pair of pins that you can jumper to reset the bios to defaults, including clearing the password, so a BIOS password only make it a little harder.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[brag]I can without question access anything on your desktop in under 5 minutes, no matter what you do[/brag].

[/ QUOTE ]

I guarantee this is 100% false.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Physical access to a machine is instant ownage, especially desktops. [brag]I can without question access anything on your desktop in under 5 minutes, no matter what you do[/brag]. Laptops might be a bit harder. Set a BIOS password.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I'd expect such a 1337 ha><0r to know removing the internal battery will erase the BIOS password. BIOS passwords are the ultimate false sense of security.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I'd expect such a 1337 ha><0r to know removing the internal battery will erase the BIOS password. BIOS passwords are the ultimate false sense of security.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I realize this. Removing the internal battery isn't a trivial task for laptops. And I'm not a 1337, and I take offense to that.

As for the other person who "guarantees this is false":

Combined with a screwdriver and a windows password reset CD, how am I NOT going to gain access to a desktop in under 10 minutes.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:06 AM

Removing the internal battery IS a trivial task.

You don't need to reset the Windows password if you have physical access to the drive.

Why's it gone up from 5 to 10 minutes, losing your touch?

Seriously, just STFU.