Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2006, 10:04 PM

Default I hate this guy.

<font color="blue">Villain is so bad it's not even funny: 87% VPIP, 12% PFR and 0.7 average aggression over 60 hands or so.

I've been playing quite loosely, and I very frequently make an isolation raise against this donk to have him all to myself.</font>

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB <font color="#A500AF">(Anus)</font> (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Pokey ($39.60)
MP ($7.10)
CO ($42.37)
Button ($7.68)
SB ($6.80)
BB <font color="#A500AF">(Anus)</font> ($28.82)

Preflop: Pokey is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#CC3333">Pokey raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB <font color="#A500AF">(Anus)</font> raises to $1.5</font>, Pokey calls $0.75.

<font color="blue">Isolation raise gets raised back; I call with a very good hand.</font>

Flop: ($3.60) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Anus bets $0.25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Pokey raises to $2</font>, Anus calls $1.75.

<font color="blue">No cheap draws for you, anus.</font>

Turn: ($7.60) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Anus bets $2.23</font>, Pokey calls $2.23.

<font color="blue">It's hard to see how that could have helped him much.</font>

River: ($12.06) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Anus calls $22.84 (All-In), Pokey hates his life.

<font color="blue">What am I supposed to do with this?</font>
Old 03-25-2006, 10:09 PM

Default Re: I hate this guy.

Raise more on flop, &amp; raise the turn. River sucks, that AF is really low isn't it? I think you have to fold !?
Old 03-25-2006, 10:14 PM

I think that the main question here is, have you seen this guy reraise preflop? if so, what hand did he have. cause that could give you a pretty good idea of what he might have. By the looks of it, and gutt feeling on this hand, I think that you are beat. He seem to have a set either of A's or T's. Lay it down, you'll get another chance to get him.
later
pocketpills
Old 03-25-2006, 10:16 PM

You gave the opponent about 3:1 on the flop. That seems like it's a fairly cheap draw to me.

I make it $4.00 to go. Things happen differently then...

As played, I don't see how you can call. You said "No cheap draws for you, anus." Presumably, since onlyu a straight draw is available, you must have him on a broadway draw? Then when it's completed on the turn, you say, "It's hard to see how that could have helped him much." Doesn't it complete the exact draw you put him on?

I still make the turn call as played, but my cards meet the muck when the opponent tries to double thru me on the river.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You gave the opponent about 3:1 on the flop. That seems like it's a fairly cheap draw to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree 100% with everything else that you said but this statement. with a VP$IP of over 80% I don't think the guy even knows the meaning of pot odds. Even though it is a good point, I don't think that we can take that aspect of the game into consideration due to the donkiness of the villan.

later
pocketpills
Old 03-25-2006, 10:27 PM

I agree with everything Grunch said, cant call that river, raise more on flop
Old 03-25-2006, 10:35 PM

It's not a question of whether or not the opponent understands the odds he's getting. Its a question of whether or not he's getting the right odds to continue if he calls. I think that given stacks &amp; the 3:1 immediate he's getting for his gutshot, there are enough implied odds for the opponent to call this bet. If the opponent calls, he's playing correctly. That's why POkey's bet wasn't big enough.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:33 PM

Hi Pokey,

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: ($3.60) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
Anus bets $0.25, Pokey raises to $2, Anus calls $1.75.

No cheap draws for you, anus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm, in my book that is a cheap draw you gave him. You did just under a 1/2 PSR. I make it $4.35 to go for a full PSR to say it's not a cheap draw.

Garon
Old 03-26-2006, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A cheap draw to what? The best chance he has is with a pair with a non-A, non-K kicker; in that situation, he has five outs to a winner, giving him 10-to-1 odds against improving on the turn. If he's got a gutshot straight draw, that's 12-to-1 against improving, and if he's got an unimproved pocket pair, he's 21-to-1 against improving. The 3-to-1 odds I'm offering aren't very friendly to any of these holdings. If the board were any less dry, I'd have made a pot-sized raise; here, I wanted him to stick around with dominated hands.

[ QUOTE ]
Presumably, since onlyu a straight draw is available, you must have him on a broadway draw? Then when it's completed on the turn, you say, "It's hard to see how that could have helped him much." Doesn't it complete the exact draw you put him on?

[/ QUOTE ]

I explained above, but let me reiterate that I have a VERY hard time putting him on a hand that's helped by the turn J.

Villain has a 12% PFR and he re-raises an UTG raiser. To my mind, that DRAMATICALLY narrows down his hand range. I put him on AA, KK, QQ, AK, possibly JJ or TT, possibly AQ. Does that sound like a realistic range for a reraise here?

The flop minbet/call screams "weak" to me; I rule out AK and AA because of it.

The turn bet seems like the J helped, but that doesn't seem likely, because it doesn't really help any of the hands I see as realistic. Perhaps he "improved" to a gutshot straight draw with his AQ, QQ, or KK. I guess it's time to start worrying about JJ.

The river bet seems incredibly bizarre. Is it a desperation bluff? Is this some weird-ass slowplayed TT that wants to reap the benefit of quads? Did JJ just fill up? When low-aggro players make huge river bets, I tend to credit them with a hand, but I'm having a hard time reconciling the betting history here. Can a better hand reader than me shed some light on this? Is my read way off, and if so, where?
Old 03-26-2006, 11:25 AM

A couple of things.

A. When you have player this bad at your table, don't hate him. Love him. Never want him to leave. Appreciate your time with him. These guys don't come around every day and when the do you should be ecstatic.

B (pf). He's playing 87% of his hands. You have AK. 3 bet him preflop. You have the best hand. Try to get the money in pf if you can. AK is AA here.

C (flop). He min bets. You raise to 2. This raise does nothing. This is like, a 1/2 pot raise. 4.35 is pot, so bet that. He's a calling station, so let him be one. If you don't get value out of your good hands, then this guy's gonna do what he does best...that is, draw out. Don't let him do that, or at least make him pay the max.

D (turn). Once again this guy bets so little. This spot should have been an easy push at this point. Don't let him decide the amount he has to pay to get to showdown. Raise it up. 14.29 to pot. So make it somewhere around there.

E (river). With the way you played (ie very, very weak) you can have no idea what kind of hand he puts on you. And you can barely put him on a hand. I don't know what to say about the river, because I wouldn't get myself in that spot. That said, you should probably just fold.