Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2006, 05:40 PM

Default Wynn management: pathetically incompetent? or just plain jerks?

OK. It's been a while since I posted. Computer is blown up. Whatever, posting ain't my life. But I had to find a computer to post this one at all costs.

Until today, I was more on the "well, the wynn has problems, but it's basically OK" train of thought.

I guess I was wrong.

This morning I called wynn about 745 am to see what was going. 4-8 mixed games! Kick ass! I'm there. I get there about 8:30 and I'm in the game by 9:00. Game is GREAT, loose, fun, dropping tons of rake (max every hand without fail).

Everything is great till about 10:15 or 10:30. Then there's a floor guy with a bunch of racks and some pens and paperwork. He says we have to MOVE. I ask him WTF, move the game, are you crazy? You'' break it for sure! Yep, we have to move. I ask him if he'sm crazy, or if he just wants to break up the game. No answer, whatever, we're moving and he doesn't give a rat's ass what the consequences are.

Well, sure enough, his forcing the game to move has the following result: Everyone makes straight for the cage and the game breaks immediately.

Note: at this time of morning, there are about 7-8 games going in the whole room, and in the upper area (where this game is going) there are ZERO games going at this time.

So obviously their little "move" of the game has precisely the effect I did not want it to have: it totally breaks the game.

Note: there were four wynn employees in the game, and they ALL went STRAIGHT FOR THE CAGE.

So I bring this up with jesse, whom I am told is second in command to the director of poker operations.

Never have I found someone who cares less about what their players (i.e. customers) think about their room. I'd have to say the guy was just short of a hardcore jerk from the minute I approached him.

His response to my asking why he felt the need to insist the game got moved? "well we'll have to move it sooner or later. Move it for what? Well, he didn't want to explain THAT.

His response when I asked him about all his wynn employees heading straight for the cage with their chips when he BROKE the game? Nothing. Total Airball.

Absolutely pathetic. The game was happy. I was happy. The game was dropping plenty of rake. There were no other games waiting for that particular area. Nothing. The game was seven friggin' handed (eight max). Why he broke it is beyond me, but he did anyway. And I'm quite sure that he didn't give a flying rat's ass whether that game broke, whether it was for the best interest of the cardroom, whether the house lost money because of his decision, whether the customers were happy or unhappy, none of it. I assume that sometime later in the day he planned to have higher limit games up there, but of course he wouldn't say. Well I hope those players really give good **** jobs, Jesse, because you've done pissed off all your mixed game players bad enough not to just NOT come back to the wynn anytime soon, but to be sure and tell all their friends about their bad experience as well. Like me. Screw the wynn, I'm going to any other room next time I play, last time the wynn pissed me the hell off.

I asked an employee about it, they were stupefied as to why on earth jesse would break that game. I told them the story, their response...

Anonymous wynn employee: "well, that's dayshift"

I change sides. Wynn management is purely incompetent. Or maybe they're just jerks. Probably a mix of both, with a heavy dose of incompetence. Stop by and ask for jesse for details.

I'll make sure to be near a computer so I can see responses to this fiasco. BTW, if you want a good mixed game, SKIP THE WYNN.

al
Old 03-25-2006, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Wynn management: pathetically incompetent? or just plain jerks?

Al, you forgot the most important detail.

Did you kick anybody in the nuts?!?
Old 03-25-2006, 05:54 PM

Hey Al... great to have you back. That is an asbolutely insane idea. I am sure it was messing up his dealer rotation or something... still stupid.

BTW, Al. Drop me a PM with your number, I am in vegas now and wanted to get your advice on some things.

- Richard
Old 03-25-2006, 06:27 PM

My roommate was playing 15-30 when this happened. He told me to look for the post.

Sounds pretty silly of the floor. I hope the management isn't as bad as you say. My trip may not be as fun as I had hoped.

blake
Old 03-25-2006, 06:29 PM

Al,

I'm a little bit surprised here. I really didn't think that you were that likely to get so down on Wynn Management over a single incident. While I agree that it was handled poorly, I would look for repeated incidents before I would label the entirety of the Wynn Poker Management as incompetant.

I suspect you also know why they wanted to move the game. Its Saturday and they expect a busy day, and you guys were up in there high limit section. they were hoping that they would be opening up some $5/$10 Nl games up there, and you can't expect those players to sit anywhere near the $4/$8 players, they might get some peanut butter on their caviar. This is Wynn, we can't mix classes here.

Lastly you make no sense when you say "you've done pissed off all your mixed game players bad enough not to just NOT come back to the wynn anytime soon, but to be sure and tell all their friends about their bad experience as well." The game was 7 handed when this happened and four of the players were Wynn employees. So actually he pissed off only three of his customers at most. And you might be the only one pissed off enough to not return.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:31 PM

While I agree this is a stupid thing for Wynn to do I'm not sure I understand why so many players leave instead of just switching tables.
It certainly can't be that much of a hassle....but from Al's tone I gather that moving a table like that is almost a sure-fire way to get players to leave which I think is somewhat interesting.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While I agree this is a stupid thing for Wynn to do I'm not sure I understand why so many players leave instead of just switching tables.
It certainly can't be that much of a hassle....but from Al's tone I gather that moving a table like that is almost a sure-fire way to get players to leave which I think is somewhat interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its all about Newton's First Law.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:39 PM

Al - Al - Al Welcome Back

Seems an odd choice to move/break a game like that. Did they want to move the 4-8 riffraff off the upper deck? If so, a good question could be - why did they start the game there instead of another table.

Does a mixed game have that many fewer hands per hour that they would want the dealers for holdem instead? Mixed game would be max of 8 players, right? And Wynn has only 9 players at holdem?

I have only played the Wynn a few days last June. Thought it was great. Was hoping to play there again this July. Will be interested to see what others come up with for reasons or speculation.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:06 PM

Al,

how horrible, what a terrible injustice..i cant believe they made you move tables!!
you should be pissed for life.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get away with moving a new game, but moving an ongoing game is always a disaster. Usually at least half the pallyers leave when you move a game. On a related note I hate to combine games because if you have 2 six handed games and try to combine you end up with one 8 handed game.
A lot of times games continue because poker players don't want to rack up and leave, once htey are racked up and standing that is as good of a time as any to leave.