Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2006, 10:44 AM

Default New to NL 6-Max, Will this playing style work?

I've played mostly SNGs and MTTs (33-109 buyins mostly) with a decent amount of live 2/5 blind NL experience. Decided to give NL200 6-Max a try and am looking for a bit of advice. In live play I like to call small raises with speculative hands like small pairs and middling connectors (75s, 87s, etc.) and then win a big pot when the villain can't fold QQ. I'll play the big aces of course, but don't get overly excited about flopping top pair with them. Will a more LAGgy playing style work w/ say 30% VPIP and open-raising suited connectors from LP and calling small raises with speculative hands, or should I stick with a more traditional TAG approach waiting for sets, big pairs, etc. I think I play very well postflop, but am wondering if the average Party NL200 6-max player will pay me off enough to make entering the pot with speculative hands profitable.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:51 PM

Default Re: New to NL 6-Max, Will this playing style work?

yes, sounds like your head is in the right place.

And the average party NL200 6max player will pay you off approximately always. its glorious.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:58 PM

It sounds like you have a winning formula ready to go. Stay away from my tables please.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:00 PM

If the players in your blinds when you are in LP are weak tight or passive, it's definitely profitable to be lag in LP.

If the game goes wild though, it's profitable to tighten up as a whole completely but the style you described is definitely the winning formula for MSNL 6 max.

Slider
Old 03-25-2006, 02:04 PM

You wont get many responses here because your question is way too wide and dont bring any new things here. But mostly you should tend on the tighter side as the structure of nl dont punish tight play (the blinds are small).
Old 03-25-2006, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Decided to give NL200 6-Max a try and am looking for a bit of advice. In live play I like to call small raises with speculative hands like small pairs and middling connectors (75s, 87s, etc.) and then win a big pot when the villain can't fold QQ. I'll play the big aces of course, but don't get overly excited about flopping top pair with them. Will a more LAGgy playing style work w/ say 30% VPIP and open-raising suited connectors from LP and calling small raises with speculative hands, or should I stick with a more traditional TAG approach waiting for sets, big pairs, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Use the search function for Fimbulwinter's 6max opening hand charts. Spend some time thinking about why he recommends what he does, and you will understand the preflop concepts involved at 6max.

Having said that, there are times to play looser than his chart, and times to play tighter. Times to play more aggressive, times to play more passive.