Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2006, 04:25 AM

Default Ask Fryguy: Stereo systems (home, car, theater)

Ask away whatever you want. I've had everything from 150db daily driver car audio systems, to the current home audio/theater setup I'm piecing together (and just ran out of money/space for).

I am familiar with most car audio brands. Home audio is a much different beast however, due to the large number of boutique brands out there. So try to stay away from specific brand stuff when it comes to home audio.

Want to know what things are myths, what cables to buy, how much to spend, possibly some recommendations? Want to know about DTS, DD, other surround sound formats. Best way to make a subwoofer sound good? Best way to calibrate a system. How to build a 1000+ watt home audio subwoofer for less than $1500. Looking to get some custom stuff designed/built and don't know where to turn?

Ask away.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:24 AM

Default Re: Ask Fryguy: Stereo systems (home, car, theater)

What was your loudest car setup? (subs, amps, box, car, etc.)

Was it a true low-tuned street beater or a one-note wonder made primarily to burp and be done?

Do you still run the same setup? If not, what do you run now, and why?

What meter was the 150db pass made on?

related to the above: Do/did you compete?

I'm a car audio guy myself, but I haven't kept up with things for the last couple of years. I always like to hear about people's systems, though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

For an advice question, what is the cheapest decent amp ($/watt RMS) for ~1000-1500W at 1 or 4 ohms or double that at .5 or 2 ohms? Last I knew, there were quite a few people buying Hifonic 1500D amps for around $250 or so each. Is this still one of the better choices? I'm not seriously considering upgrading since I don't feel like spending $1k-ish on amps plus whatever it costs to upgrade my electrical system for ~600A peak draw. Besides, I rarely crank it anyway these days. I'm about 90% sure I could hit a 150 on an audiocontrol anyway. I should be mid-upper 140s on the TL sensor, based on scores from my last system. It would be fun to hit a true 150 on the sensor with my daily driver though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2006, 11:34 PM

wow, totally missed this most, and forgot to check back later [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Loudest setup:

2 DD 3512s with a JBL 1200.1 in a ford probe. Rest of system was pre-out only alpine (7977), focal fronts, and a ppi 4x125 bridged to 500x2 for the fronts. Enclosure was 6.5 cubic ft ported with a pair of 4" ports to 35hz.

No. I no longer do car audio, had too many problems with system beind stolen. My last system was:

LPG tweets with focal mids, ppi 4x125 bi-amping the setup. Crossfire bmf1000d running an adire brahma 15" in 4cubes ported to 28hz with a pair of slot ports.

No I never competed. The 150 number was with the DDs and was on a pre-sensor termlab.

Advice stuff. Find crossfire bmf1000d's or cadence a7hcs on ebay or forum. Both are amazing amps, probably some of the best class D amps every built for 12V use.

Hifonics is acceptable but I would much rather pick up a used crossfire or cadence for 250-300. PG tantrums are supposed to be pretty good as well as the newer JBL amps. Ikesound has the JBL amps I think for an OK price, and tantrums can usually be found on ebay.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:36 PM

Are the OZ Audio speakers generally of good quality?
Old 04-01-2006, 11:39 PM

i bought the kenwood music keg, 10gb hd and have 2 head units, one is far superior to the other.

the issue is my kenwood HU has the compatible CD changer outlet in the back which gives CD quality sound from the keg, whilst the sony chameleon flip down needs to use a radio signal, giving my amazing 600$ keg a horrible radio quality sound.

my question is regarding how to get a direct line to the sony to bypass the horrible quality, as i'd rather use the pimp sony HU than the cheap-ass looking kenwood HU.

thanks in advance.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:41 PM

What is the best noise cancellation headphone on the market, from the following points of view:

1) overall sound quality

2) size

3) noise reduction

4) "lightness"

5) ear bud options?

I'm about to buy the Bose QuietComfort 2, but I am not a fan of the Bose sound (its highly EQ'ed, they use some sort of comb filter)... any audiophile would agree. Any better options out there?

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2006, 11:43 PM

i have a question,

i have a JL Audio 12" W6v2 and a JL Audio 500/1 Amp it's been used but now its back in the original box. How much do u think i can sell it for?
Old 04-01-2006, 11:44 PM

What hardware is needed to connect a home theatre system to a computer?

What hardware is needed to connect a car audio system to a computer?
Old 04-01-2006, 11:45 PM

Hey Fry -

Good timing on the thread. We're remodeling the house and I had the new media room wired for surround and put speaker wire all throughout the house. I was planning on using this spring break to research components, but on my birthday my wife surprised me with a ton of home audio gear.

Now this is bittersweet. I really wanted to trick it all out myself, but I had to grin broadly and accept what she had picked out with the Best Buy dude ::gulp::

Here's what she got:

* Yamaha HTR-5990 AV receiver
* Bose 191 speakers all around media room...like all but the sub.
* Bose 151 environmental speakers for outside

1) How'd she do?
2) She didn't buy a sub. What's a solid low-budget pick? We're going broke with the remodel.
3) I tried to install the volume controls today. There's two speaker wires, the 4 colored one that I assume goes to the amp, and a mystery white cable with 8 multicolored wires inside. What's this one for?

Thanks for answering this noob's questions.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:47 PM

should i port my adire brahma, i have a hifonics sending it 1500 watts rms, currently its selaed in like 2 cuft or something. I made the box and its ok, but not great. Who would you reccommend if anyone to build me the ported box.