Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2006, 10:48 PM

Default Best book for learning 7stud?

I'm thinking of switching to limit hold 'em to 7stud. Could anyone recommend a good book to start with? I was thinking about 7CSFAP, but think it might be too advanced to start with.

Suggestions?
Old 03-24-2006, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Best book for learning 7stud?

start with 7-Card Stud : 42 Lessons How to Win at Medium & Lower Limits by Roy West. then read Seven-Card Stud for Advanced Players by David Sklansky, Mason Malmuth, and Ray Zee.

with the hold 'em explosion why switch? it is good to learn to play different games, but the hold 'em games are so good right now.

a game to learn might be omaha.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
start with 7-Card Stud : 42 Lessons How to Win at Medium & Lower Limits by Roy West. then read Seven-Card Stud for Advanced Players by David Sklansky, Mason Malmuth, and Ray Zee.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would do them both and in that order. Oh and check out the Stud forum...you are going to have more people who know more about stud there...

---Leavenfish
Old 03-25-2006, 01:39 AM

If you have studied poker some, there's really no reason not to dive right into 7CS4AP. If you can't grasp it, I don't really like your chances of beating the game anyway.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:53 AM

What helped me most with stud is Chip Reese's chapter in Super System.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have studied poker some, there's really no reason not to dive right into 7CS4AP. If you can't grasp it, I don't really like your chances of beating the game anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not reading 7CS4AP first would not be because he would not "grasp" the material, but some of the material is worthless at beginner limits. You could know 7CS4AP inside out and not beat the game at some limits. 7CS4AP has lots of discussion on making raises to eliminate the number of opponents in the hand. That is a joke in some games as some people will never fold at the lower limits until their hand is definitely beat. Starting off with a medium limit book would not be a bad idea.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:07 AM

Agreed.

If someone was wanting to learn Quantum Physics, one could go straight to a book by the most brilliant person in that field or start off with a book designed to bring you along and introduce the concepts in a more easy to understand manner.

That said, you would go on to the other book. Of course, if something in the more advanced book contradicted what you read in the first book, you would be well advised to lean towards taking it as gospel.

---Leavenfish
Old 03-26-2006, 12:11 AM

I am about to pick up the Adams and West book with a Amazon gift-card I am getting. I will give a review once I read them.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:31 AM

if you are going to play split games then add;
High-Low Split Poker, Seven Card Stud and Omaha Eight or Better for Advanced Players by Ray Zee
Old 03-26-2006, 01:44 AM

OK, the section on ante-stealing is probably not going to help you much in low-limit games. The section on loose games is very relevant to those games, however, and you're costing yourself money if you don't read it.