Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2006, 10:38 PM

Default Ask Wookie about Cocktails

I drink good [censored]. Anybody looking to spice up their drinking?
Old 03-24-2006, 10:48 PM

Default Re: Ask Wookie about Cocktails

Hey Wook.

What's your favorite kind of martini? (booze, flavor, etc.)
Old 03-24-2006, 10:53 PM

Another martini question.

I go to a bar & order a Belvedere martini with 3 blue cheese stuffed olives, up.

What is the proportion of vodka to vermouth in what I get?

Also, dry vermouth is white, and that's what you use for a martini, right?
Old 03-24-2006, 10:54 PM

Well, personally, I believe a Martini should be some variation on gin and dry vermouth. I take mine at about 4:1 gin:vermouth, and I prefer a twist of lemon to the traditional olive garnish.

If you're speaking more broadly about Martinis, as in, anything served in a Martini glass, I'd probably have to go with a Manhattan, which I take at 3 parts bourbon to 1 part sweet vermouth, a dash of bitters, and garnished w/ a cherry. Many other drinks may suit my mood better, but I keep coming back to this one.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:55 PM

Mr. Wookie - I don't drink much in the way of cocktails. But I've had women point out that I should really have some more [censored] handy for when they come over.

Basic drinks and basic liquors would be very helpful. (If this is too big a question feel free to ignore.)

Thanks.

-Al
Old 03-24-2006, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another martini question.

I go to a bar & order a Belvedere martini with 3 blue cheese stuffed olives, up.

What is the proportion of vodka to vermouth in what I get?

Also, dry vermouth is white, and that's what you use for a martini, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic Martini portions are about 4:1, but bar tenders vary widely. Yes, a Martini, even when made w/ vodka, should always be made w/ dry vermouth (aka French vermouth), which is clear. No bar tender should make the mistake of using sweet (or Italian) vermouth, which is brown.

A good rule of thumb when making cocktails, mix clear things w/ other clear things, and brown things w/ other brown things.

Edit: When I say widely, I mean a range of about 2:1 to about 10:1. If you prefer more vermouth, specify wet, and if you want less, ask for slightly dry, dry, or extra dry. Extra dry often contains no vermouth, however.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:01 PM

Mr. Wookie, I will be attending a cocktail party on saturday and everyone is susposed to bring a bottle of something to help stock the bar. Im used to taking Jager and tequila shots when I drink so im not sure what I should bring to this party. Any suggestions?
Old 03-24-2006, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I drink good [censored]. Anybody looking to spice up their drinking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this an insult to my thread?
Old 03-24-2006, 11:04 PM

Damn. I ws hoping this was about the movie.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mr. Wookie - I don't drink much in the way of cocktails. But I've had women point out that I should really have some more [censored] handy for when they come over.

Basic drinks and basic liquors would be very helpful. (If this is too big a question feel free to ignore.)

Thanks.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the question of what's good to stock for girls coming over and what's a good stock for good cocktails are kind of different questions. For most girls, you're better off stocking the ingredients for various girly drinks. The drink which, IMHO, has the highest deliciousness:ease of making ratio is the Panty ripper, which is about a shot of vodka, a shot of Malibu rum, and fill the glass w/ either OJ or pineapple juice (or a mix of the two, really). That'll readily satiate any girls you bring by, and it can be made w/ two relatively inexpensive liquors. If you want to step things up a notch, pick up a bottle of triple sec and a bottle of Rose's lime juice. You can use fresh, but Rose's keeps forever. You can make a Cosmopolitain with 2:2:1:1 Cranberry juice:vodka:triple sec:lime when shaken w/ ice and strained. You'd want a cocktail shaker and something to measure with to make these, but if you have a lady you want to impress, this is a good start.

To recommend a few more bottles to stock of things you'll like yourself or good classic cocktails, I'll need to know more about what drinks you like.