Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2006, 02:47 PM

Default ask man about running.

training, injuries, racing, shoes. I can probably answer every question at least semi-competently but my expertise is in training for long distance races.

go!
Old 03-24-2006, 02:49 PM

Default Re: ask man about running.

Is running an acceptable way to begin an exercise routine? (I mean if the only type of exercise I do is run, starting now when the weather is nicer, for a few months until get the courage/desire to start lifting weights or something.)
Old 03-24-2006, 02:54 PM

I was a decent runner in HS (17:30 5k). Now I am significantly slower (freshman in college). I would estimate that I could run 19:00 5k right now. What is the most effective way to burn the most calories (I have some fat that I could lose)? Longer, slower runs? Right now, I normally hop on the treadmill and run 3 miles at an 8:00 pace. Thanks
Old 03-24-2006, 02:55 PM

it depends a lot on your goals. if you want to lift weights to become strong, you're probably not gonna find much benefit to running and lifting at the same time because if you're running your body won't build muscle mass as quickly as if you're strictly lifting (I forget the biological reasons for this). running is a real good way to start an exercise routine though, because it's cheap and will trim up your body. however it is high-impact.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:56 PM

How do you stay motivated? I played soccer and now that the season is over I might have some trouble staying in shape. I guess I always thought of running as a punishment.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:57 PM

i haven't jogged in a while, but I want to be able to jog around the 2.6 mile lake next to my house without stopping or walking at all, and eventually start increasing my speed. What's the best way to get into good enough shape to do this?
Old 03-24-2006, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was a decent runner in HS (17:30 5k). Now I am significantly slower (freshman in college). I would estimate that I could run 19:00 5k right now. What is the most effective way to burn the most calories (I have some fat that I could lose)? Longer, slower runs? Right now, I normally hop on the treadmill and run 3 miles at an 8:00 pace. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm honestly not too sure about calorie-burning. there was a discussion a while ago on whether you burn more by running 3 miles because you're using more energy, or walking 3 miles because you're going for longer. the answer is that running will burn more, but by a surprisingly small margin (like 50% more). I think the most efficient and lowest-impact choice will be to run 30 minutes at low effort.

as a side note, if you're going for aerobic training I think it's much more efficient to go by time rather than distance.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you stay motivated? I played soccer and now that the season is over I might have some trouble staying in shape. I guess I always thought of running as a punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]
if you want to stay in shape generally it's best to do the exercise you want to do, because aerobic strength has much more to do with keeping a healthy heart than keeping healthy muscles, so to speak. when I injured my knee in high school I swam for about three weeks (a completely different exercise), and was really shocked by how much I kept my running strength--my speed had declined, but I could still do 400m repeats at the same speed.

another ways to stay motivated is to mix up the type of running you do. do a long, slow run one day. do fartlek another day (this is where you alternate your speed from minute to minute--1:00 slow, 1:00 hard, or whatever interval you want). do a quick, fast one another day. you can also mix up running with biking or swimming or whatever else you like to do.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:12 PM

My knees and shins hurt most of the time when resting. This is obviously exaggerated when running distances > 1 mile and the following hours. But I really enjoy running. Should I continue doing it or heed my body's advice and do lower impact, yet less satisfying cardio exercises? Anything I can do to lessen the stress?
Old 03-24-2006, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i haven't jogged in a while, but I want to be able to jog around the 2.6 mile lake next to my house without stopping or walking at all, and eventually start increasing my speed. What's the best way to get into good enough shape to do this?

[/ QUOTE ]
like anything else it takes practice. if your goal is simply to run 2.6 miles, it should end up taking you about a half hour. so, pick a slightly shorter route and alternate between running and jogging. do 2:00 jog, 2:00 walk until you finish. make your walking intervals shorter over time.