Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2006, 02:53 AM

Default Somewhat common spot with two pair

1-2$ NL Full Ring

3 limpers to me, I limp with Ad7d on the button. SB minraises, BB and all limpers call.

Pot(24)
7h Ac 9s
Everyone checks to me, I bet 20
SB minraises to 40, he started the hand with 146$
Do you just put him in on the flop (102 more), or wait until turn to make your move?
No read on SB. What is your standard play here?
Old 01-08-2006, 03:02 AM

Default Re: Somewhat common spot with two pair

Because you have position I usually call here and push on the turn. Allows him to commit more money with his strong A. He could have a monster but I am not folding so I play assuming I have the best hand.
If you didn't have position on him I would reraise the flop.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:05 AM

Put him in on the flop. He either wants to play for his stack here, which is fine, or he is trying that bizarre bluff that donks occasionally do. If it is the former, the money is going in anyway, but keep in mind several cards might scare him away from firing the turn, so its better to just put him now. If he's bluffing, he either will not commit more chips after you just call, but there's a chance he'll call the flop push if he thinks he has outs. Either way, I don't see a reason to wait for the turn, put him to a decision right now.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:58 AM

I think he gets away from his badly played AJ or whatever if you 3 bet flop. If you call, he fires again and is committed. The straight cards that may come on turn are not nearly as scary as flush cards.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:59 PM

I personally think that considering I have position and the board is rainbow, waiting until the turn may be best, as he may be able to get away from a semi-big ace if I push here. There aren't that many cards that can kill my action really, but if the board was two-tone I think a push on flop would be in order.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Put him in on the flop. He either wants to play for his stack here, which is fine, or he is trying that bizarre bluff that donks occasionally do. If it is the former, the money is going in anyway, but keep in mind several cards might scare him away from firing the turn, so its better to just put him now. If he's bluffing, he either will not commit more chips after you just call, but there's a chance he'll call the flop push if he thinks he has outs. Either way, I don't see a reason to wait for the turn, put him to a decision right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still don't see the advantage of pushing him in on the flop. Waiting till the turn seems mucho better.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:11 PM

I'd fast play here and come back over the top again, especially with the style that I play which is pretty LAG but not retarded. Its important that the opponents know that Im occasionally raising them with real hands, but still have the doubt in their mind that I may be bluffing. This is good for my style because I can exploit it handily.

If you're a bit more of a TAG player, I'd let the clock run down a bit and then just call, make your self look weak and watch him fire the turn.

Also depends on the player, if he's a calling station I'm more prone to come back over the top regardless of the style I'm playing at the time, and if he's shown a tendancy to make stupid bluffs, I'd definately let him keep it up.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:20 PM

Definitely on the turn. He'll make a lead and be sure that he's fully on the hook before you reel him in.

If he has AA or 99, congrats to him.

Everett
Old 01-08-2006, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I personally think that considering I have position and the board is rainbow, waiting until the turn may be best, as he may be able to get away from a semi-big ace if I push here. There aren't that many cards that can kill my action really, but if the board was two-tone I think a push on flop would be in order.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't have put it better. He only minraised and could easily get away on the flop. He took that action away so his turn lead will pot commit him.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:43 AM

What's the plan if a 9 hits on the turn? Checkfold the majority of the time?