Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2006, 04:40 PM

Default early JJ hand

hello,

i havent posted here before but read this and the mtt forum regulary. Anyways i played a hand today that i thought a little about and can make up my mind if about it.

Its a 10 table 5$ tourney. First blind level (10/20) just a few hands in.

Utg+1 1500
Mp2 1500
BB(me) 2100

Utg minraises and mp2 calls i find JJ in BB and makes it 140
Both calls. Flop is 10, 9 , 7 rainbow and i bet 300 and utg pushes and MP folds.

Im really not comfortable with this call, i make it cause i call to much but think it maybe i need to stop. On the other hand i play at a level where a lot of people would push top quite often, thoughts?
Old 03-23-2006, 05:14 PM

Default Re: early JJ hand

At the level you're playing, a min raise from UTG more often than not, is a weak hand that should probably be folded UTG like small PP or 10J 10K and so on... so i think i would definately have made the same call since most of the time they'll show down just top pair, but of course that depends on your read of his style of play. post the results in white if you don't mind.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:20 PM

You have an overpair and a gutshot straight draw. I think this is a pretty easy call.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:23 PM

This is really read dependent. Both plays can be justified and your opponents range of holdings is very wide. Given all this, I would probably fold simply because you have a very healthy stack and will have better opportunities later. Except for UTG having JT, you are either only slightly ahead or completely smashed in this hand.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:26 PM

yeah thats my opinion too, about their probable holdings, which make that flop and action so scary, i got three possible sets and the outside chance a tricky overpair. And the chance obvius chance of AT and KT.

ok i ll try and learn how to do that (white results). anyway he had KT but sucked out but i dont think that matter much. Overall do u think im ahead here often enough?
Old 03-23-2006, 05:30 PM

what do u think about the raise preflop, im thinking its a bit low cause its a tough hand to play oop?
Old 03-23-2006, 05:33 PM

Yeah, but I'd probably still fold. XT is the dream scenario, and you can still be outdrawn. If he doesn't have XT you are crushed and losing your whole stack. The main reason I'm advocating a fold is because your stack is pretty big. If your stack was smaller I would call, but you're in such a good position right now and you don't want to give it up to your opponent outdrawning you or randomly having a set.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah thats my opinion too, about their probable holdings, which make that flop and action so scary, i got three possible sets and the outside chance a tricky overpair. And the chance obvius chance of AT and KT.

ok i ll try and learn how to do that (white results). anyway he had KT but sucked out but i dont think that matter much. Overall do u think im ahead here often enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I cheated and saw the results before this reply, but this is what I was thinking before I saw the results.
I call. Do you really think he would not reraise preflop with a better PP? I don't. They only thing I would be marginally afraid of is a flopped set but you don't run into those often to worry about it. I think you will lose way more chips folding in this spot than you will if you call. You are ahead way more often than not, IMHO. I think tou will be shown A 10, AK AQ a lot in this spot, though AK may often push pre flop.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but I'd probably still fold. XT is the dream scenario, and you can still be outdrawn. If he doesn't have XT you are crushed and losing your whole stack. The main reason I'm advocating a fold is because your stack is pretty big. If your stack was smaller I would call, but you're in such a good position right now and you don't want to give it up to your opponent outdrawning you or randomly having a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is very wrong. I think you are ahead a lot here, and if you play poker always worrying about being outdrawn you are welcome in my game any time. I don't anyone s good enough to overcome giving up this kind of +ev on a regular basis.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:53 PM

The reason I'm advocating a fold is because you're not ahead here that much, and the times you're behind plus the times you're ahead and get outdrawn constitute a fold for me. With such a big stack you want to avoid playing pots like this and chop away.