Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2006, 12:19 PM

Default Fold or Push back?

Villain has repeatedly gone after the blinds. His standard opening bet for ANY hand (I have two MTTs histories on him) is huge and he will go to the river with AK no matter what the board shows. However, he usually takes the pot (especially when I'm in it [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] )without ever going to showdown. In my case I think with him I have developed MUBS. With this hand what would you do?
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (8 handed) converter

UTG (t8695)
UTG+1 (t13716)
MP1 (t2635)
MP2 (t13941)
CO (t11528)
Button (t4363)
SB (t2550)
Hero (t7023)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t400, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t1175) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t1200</font>, SB folds, Hero calls t800.

Turn: (t3575) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t1600</font>,
Final Pot: t5175
Old 03-23-2006, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Fold or Push back?

[ QUOTE ]
Villain has repeatedly gone after the blinds. His standard opening bet for ANY hand (I have two MTTs histories on him) is huge and he will go to the river with AK no matter what the board shows. However, he usually takes the pot (especially when I'm in it [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] )without ever going to showdown. In my case I think with him I have developed MUBS. With this hand what would you do?
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (8 handed)

[/ QUOTE ]

What is MUBS?

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (t1175) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t1200</font>, SB folds, Hero calls t800.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have pushed here, given his play, if this is a STT or the final table. But I don't know how online plays.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:43 PM

MUBS is Monster under the bed syndrome? At this point I'm imagining him with a pair of queens or AQ or even Q2 no suit.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:06 PM

I think if your going to lead into a tricky player you have to bet more. Your min bet is just begging to be raised. If you bet 800+ and he reraises it you can feel better about folding. When you called the the raise he has to know you have something and he fires again so I would give him credit for having the best hand and fold. If you were going to push back the time to push back was the flop.
The way you played it I am folding to the flop raise.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:17 PM

That makes sense. I do believe his next move however would have been to put me all in rather than just raise me. His read on me is that I don't very often go all-in preflop in tournament play until after the antes kick in. I will with a strong stack accept all-in invitations from short stacks but in this case he's got me outstacked big-time.