Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2006, 06:33 PM

Default This felt weak. Jacks

What of the preflop raise? To big? I just wanted to take it down there. My continuation bet, necessary? Weak fold?

I have been playing very solid so far, showing only one hand down, a set, and taking other hands down preflop or with a continuation bet.

Villian is multi-tabling and seems to be playing a solid game, atleast relative to the .01/.02 tables. I haven't played many hands with him yet though.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP2 ($1.88)
MP3 ($1.23)
CO ($4.44)
Button ($2.78)
SB ($1.62)
Hero ($2.88)
UTG ($2.61)
UTG+1 ($1.96)
MP1 ($4.98)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $0.02, MP2 calls $0.02, MP3 calls $0.02, CO calls $0.02, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.3</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.28, MP3 folds, CO folds, SB folds.

Flop: ($0.68) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $1.58</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $2.66
Old 03-22-2006, 07:26 PM

Default Re: This felt weak. Jacks

It seems a bit excessive yes lol. But then again, as the hand shows, you will get callers with 15bb preflop raises. A more standard 6-8bb preflop raise there may have gotten 3 callers, which you don't want. You just gotta go with what the table is giving you I guess. And 15bb is sometimes necessary in the nano stakes.

Yes, I think the continuation bet is necessary even though you hate a call and can't call a push. Also, You should consider buying in full, 5 bucks.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, You should consider buying in full, 5 bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct, but since .01/.02 is the lowest online game and I don't have 15-20 buyins of $5, I have to make due.

In regards to the PF raise, generally what should I have made it, 9BB's? 4BB's which is normal + 5BB's for the five players already in the pot? I feel like I should be making it slightly more than that since I will be OOP with the hand.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, You should consider buying in full, 5 bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct, but since .01/.02 is the lowest online game and I don't have 15-20 buyins of $5, I have to make due.

In regards to the PF raise, generally what should I have made it, 9BB's? 4BB's which is normal + 5BB's for the five players already in the pot? I feel like I should be making it slightly more than that since I will be OOP with the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah yes. I didn't see you were OOP in the BB. My bad. So your intentions were right with the raise. Hoping to take it down and scoop up all the dead money. You managed to get one caller which is fine also. So it looks to me that it was the correct raise amount. Also, with your stack size, and all that dead money I don't think there is anything wrong with just shoving either.

Standard is as you say 4xBB + 1BB for every limper and bumping it up a little bit more when in the blinds due to bad position.

Edit: Actually a shove might not be the best option here. I forgot at those stakes they are actually deepstacked on Stars. You have 144BB's. The way you played this is probably the best line.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The standard raise is not enough in the nano-stakes. Your raise was just fine. 10BBs and everybody calls. I would not have played any different, except that depending on reads, I would not have CB'd this flop.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The standard raise is not enough in the nano-stakes. Your raise was just fine. 10BBs and everybody calls. I would not have played any different, except that depending on reads, I would not have CB'd this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

On second thought you are probably right about not CB'ing. That flop is clearly horrible for hero's hand. c/f or cheap showdown is probably better as KT or any club is calling hero down here.

I played this game for a few minutes the other day while testing out some options with PT addons and it just looked like sheer insanity. I tend to think you might need a very different approach to that game than even say 25nl. This thread confuses me, I would just 8 table and open shove QQ-AA and AK. idk

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2006, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On second thought you are probably right about not CB'ing. That flop is clearly horrible for hero's hand. c/f or cheap showdown is probably better as KT or any club is calling hero down here.

I played this game for a few minutes the other day while testing out some options with PT addons and it just looked like sheer insanity. I tend to think you might need a very different approach to that game than even say 25nl. This thread confuses me, I would just 8 table and open shove QQ-AA and AK. idk

[/ QUOTE ]

How I am playing the level right now might not necessarily be the most profitable. However, since I would like to move up at some point (this level isn't the worlds most fun), I am trying to shape my game around what will help me in the higher limits.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How I am playing the level right now might not necessarily be the most profitable. However, since I would like to move up at some point (this level isn't the worlds most fun), I am trying to shape my game around what will help me in the higher limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya no doubt. Your play on this hand looks fine. If you are relatively new to poker or even online poker I think you should work your way through these limits, as hard as it may seem at times. I started in this game on Stars about 1.5 yrs ago.

If you are more advanced and/or have a fair bit of online experience you should probably deposit enough to skip past 5nl and 10nl to 25nl.

I was only half serious about open shoving monster hands. Tight solid ABC poker destroys those limits. The advice of this forum alone, should propel you through them in no time.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ya no doubt. Your play on this hand looks fine. If you are relatively new to poker or even online poker I think you should work your way through these limits, as hard as it may seem at times. I started in this game on Stars about 1.5 yrs ago.

If you are more advanced and/or have a fair bit of online experience you should probably deposit enough to skip past 5nl and 10nl to 25nl.

I was only half serious about open shoving monster hands. Tight solid ABC poker destroys those limits. The advice of this forum alone, assuming you are relatively new to poker, should propel you through them in no time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not new to online poker, but through bad BR management (read: VERY BAD BR MANAGEMENT) I haven't really gotten anywhere.
While depositing more would probably be a good idea, I've opted not to because of psychological reasons. As it stands right now, I am not psychologicaly stable enough to put large amounts of money online and play within a proper bankroll. Playing up from the micros, will a) allow me to go BUSTO! without financial risk and b) allow me to learn both BR management and how to play good poker, instead of the crap I was playing before.
If a) occurs, I will realize I am still not stable enough to play online poker, and be able to move on.

I think pushing all your good hands at this level, JJ+, AK+, and all hands you hit hard would make you tons (relative to the blinds). But, like I said, I won't learn that way. Haha.

BTW, thanks for your help.