Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2006, 02:59 PM

Default I\'m going to do a LAG experiment

OK,

So HSNL forum was no help in teaching us how to play LAG, so we're going to teach ourselves! So this is what I'm going to do:

There's no way I want to play an experimental game at my normal stakes ($200) so I'm going to drop down to $50, cos I reckon I can handle losing a few buy-ins there and I might well still get some FE there.

Now I want you guys to throw ideas at me here...I mean ANY ideas on how you think a good LAG game should be played. I want things like:
How wide my preflop raising range should be from various positions (I'll be playing 6max).

What hands I can call to a raise on the button.

When I can multi barrel.

When I can lead flops with air.

What hands I can Call OOP preflop.

What hands should I 3bet preflop.

What hands I should get AI with preflop.

Or just anything else really.

Then I'm going to open up 2 tables, play really tight for about 20-30 hands and hopefully show down a winner, then switch gears on their unsuspecting asses, using all the wonderful advice you're about to give.

Then I'll report back with the most awesome trip report of all time.

And we'll all become amazing players

And we'll school all those HSNL chumps!
Old 03-22-2006, 03:06 PM

Default Re: I\'m going to do a LAG experiment

I really think any rules like this are a bad idea for LAG play. Read some of Jamaugha's posts, he has some good stuff. LAG is all about reading their hands and also reading their style.

Here's my suggestion :

1. Play your normal TAG game, *but* any time you think someone is just on a late-position raise & continuation, take the pot from them. Mix in reraises preflop, floats, check-raises on the flop, etc. Ideally have a draw when you do this so you have outs in case it goes bad.

2. Next, open up your LP steal & continuation range. If it folds to you in late position, open almost any two. If you think someone is trying to call you down with something weak, or trying to float your cbet, bomb the pot and take it away by check-raising the turn vs. floaters, etc.

The guys in HSNL do this all the time. They may not respond directly to your request for LAG help, but if you just read some hands you'll see this is a major part of the HSNL game (eg. resteals from the blinds against a suspect button steal, etc.)
Old 03-22-2006, 03:17 PM

I'm in. Probably not for as many hands as you, as my bankroll isn't as deep, but definitely in.

I'm at work and don't have time for a real post in this thread, but

- start thinking about particular ways in which opponents react badly to your LAG play.
- some people call any size raise PF, so you can punish/isolate them
- some people call surprisingly large bets on the flop and then fold surprisingly small bets on the turn .. figuring out the smallest amt. that villains will fold for seems much more important.
- in my limited experience, people open their raising and calling standards preflop, but not their reraising standards.
- lots of people get way more tenacious on the flop, but not so much on the turn.

for me, this takes a lot more discipline than my normal game. as someone said in the other thread, people call you down with 2nd pair all the time and you suddenly convince yourself that TPTK is a monster and you get stacked. the "small" pots are much larger, but it's still "small pots with small hands and big pots with big hands."

most people just won't play back at you too much, even if you get caught. and if they do play back at you, they'll probably only play back at you for a hand or two and then go back into their shell.

i get reads on people a lot faster because i'm playing a lot more hands against them.

back to work for me.

[ QUOTE ]
Then I'll report back with the most awesome trip report of all time.

And we'll all become amazing players

And we'll school all those HSNL chumps!

[/ QUOTE ]
yes, please!
Old 03-22-2006, 03:24 PM

I normally play full ring, but here goes ...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
-any small/medium pair
-any suited connector. 1- or 2-gapped

[ QUOTE ]
When I can multi barrel.

[/ QUOTE ]
When you're heads up in position against a nit and you were the aggressor preflop. Board should be threatening enough to villian, but not too threatening to you.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Leading into a preflop raiser??? - all rag flops I suppose, especially when you have had the chance to show down a b3b with a small set against a preflop raiser.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
-small/medium pairs for set value, but I don't like playing suited connectors OOP

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
-typical TAG hands - AA, KK, AK?, QQ?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
AA of course, KK probably, AK???? dunno

Good luck. Look forward to the report.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:39 PM

cbloom,

When I'm playing my A-game, I do everything you suggest. But I just consider that to be a good TAG rather than LAG at all
Old 03-22-2006, 03:40 PM

xGREGORx,

Your advice is good, but its very TAG adive mainly
Old 03-22-2006, 04:10 PM

I've been getting all experimental-LAG and have actually been reasonably succcessful this week with it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

ideas:
How wide my preflop raising range should be from various positions (I'll be playing 6max).

Wide. Anything suited - anything connected - any ace - any PP.

any 2 - depending on the pfraiser and how big the raise is. I'm pushing back with monsters AA-QQ AKs AQs - and smooth calling with all the cards in my (pretty wide) raising range and folding everything else - if it's a bigger than -5xBB raise preflop I'll stick to my normal TAG calling standards.

When I can multi barrel.

Whenever you smell weakness. I noticed that someplayers will call flop bets and then fold any turn unless they have a monster. Whereas some will call all the way down to the river - and then fold to a half pot bet. Some of them even fold to my flop PSB's. so pay attention to each player at the table and take an appropriate line.

When you have position - when a weak/tightie is your only caller (as a 2nd barrel on the turn will usually take care of them)

same range as preflop raising hands

I was only 3-betting monsters - and then my 3-bets were pushes.

none - unless you have a monster hand and are 3-betting all-in.

Or just anything else really.

each table I sat at to play crazy LAG style I bought in or $10 ($25NL) I planned on throwing the $10 to the wolves getting caught playing dodgy cards then quietly switching gears a little later - having reloaded to the full 100BB.

My strategy basically boils down to - get crazy from the first hand. Blow $10 playing like a maniac (and a further $10 if need be) watch other players start playing back with less than optimal cards - then reload and play a *little* tighter. i.e. stop calling raises OOP with junk - see as many cheapish flops as possible and don't take anything to showdown if it can't beat TPTK.

A couple of times while I was in "donating" mode with my first $10 I caught on the river - layed a gruesome bad beat on some poor unsuspecting donk - set them on full blown monkey-tilt - sat back played TAG and collected their money.

LAG is fun [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] - the swings are a bitch tho. I think I could have a lot of success with this in the future if I can only focus it a bit better and make better reads.

I am roughly break even this week playing this maniac/LAG style.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:15 PM

Cardrunners.com. Watch Green Plastic's videos. Watching 30 minutes of video saves you hours and hours of reading and experimenting.

(I have no affiliation with the site).
Old 03-22-2006, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cardrunners.com. Watch Green Plastic's videos. Watching 30 minutes of video saves you hours and hours of reading and experimenting.

(I have no affiliation with the site).

[/ QUOTE ]
Anyone have any experience getting this to work under Linux?
Old 03-22-2006, 04:39 PM

I have no clue how to play LAG.

But, I might one day experiment this donkey style that is sort of LAGgish: Raise 75% of your hands PF, usually 2x or 3x but sometimes 6xbb. Autobet all flops for 1/4 pot at least. Most SSNL'ers can't adjust to that.