Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2006, 02:01 AM

Default Wary - AQo

Party 15/30 (9-handed) loose/passive table

Hero is MP2 with AQo.

Preflop: Loose bad UTG limps, TAG UTG+1 limps, MP1 folds, Hero limps, MP3 limps, Cutoff folds, Button limps, SB completes, BB checks. Seven to the flop for 7 SB.

Flop: Q75 two-suited we don't have one. Three checks, UTG+1 bets, Hero raises, only SB and UTG+1 call. Three players to the turn for 6.5 BB.

Turn: Ace of new flush draw. Tight-passive SB leads, UTG+1 is done, Hero calls. Headsup to the river for 8.5 BB.

River: Off nine. SB bets, Hero calls.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:21 AM

Default Re: Wary - AQo

I'd like to hear why you played it this way. As far as I can tell, you missed a raise on 3 streets.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:36 AM

Raise preflop.... I like the flop play... under normal circumstances I'm raising the turn, but since u said he's tight/passive I understand ur play... I'm probably raising his river bet here and calling a 3 bet.... if the turn had been any card other then an A and a tight passive player bets out like that, I like calling the turn, and then raising the river and folding to a 3 bet... I don't think ur play is horrendous, but I think it cost u one bet where he probably has a lower 2 pair then u
Old 03-22-2006, 02:50 AM

i'm really not sure why you are not raising way more here.

I raise preflop - unless you think tons will be calling 2 cold, then i'm ok with it.

flop - standard.

turn - looks like he hit an A and maybe two pair. I raise and call a 3bet.

river - raise now if you waited on the turn b/c you thought he might be bluffing. If he folds then whatever, but more often i think he is calling with lots of hands you crush.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:02 AM

I'm not understanding the lack of a turn raise. There's no hand the A helped that now beats your hand. Either he was ahead on the flop, or he was behind, and is still behind. Would he play a set by cold-calling 2 on the flop and then donking the turn? I think a lower two pair is more likely, possibly a turned flush draw.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:34 AM

Pre Flop: Raise to Define Your Hand, possible fold by tight small blind. UTG, UTG+1 call. Possible call by BB.

Flop: UTG+1 possible bet, I like raise on flop. Now your heads up on turn.

Turn: UTG+1 checks you bet, UTG folds end of hand.

Sound possible? Less Stress? Give me your feedback
Old 03-22-2006, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Give me your feedback

[/ QUOTE ]]
no prob.
you are an idiot.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:05 AM

wow, i dont which street is the worst, preflop limp 3 off the button encouraging ppl to play BEHIND U, or river when u "value-call" the nuts.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pre Flop: Raise to Define Your Hand, possible fold by tight small blind. UTG, UTG+1 call. Possible call by BB.

Flop: UTG+1 possible bet, I like raise on flop. Now your heads up on turn.

Turn: UTG+1 checks you bet, UTG folds end of hand.

Sound possible? Less Stress? Give me your feedback

[/ QUOTE ]

what the hell is this?
Old 03-22-2006, 07:18 AM

Preflop: This is a loose table. I'm not sold on raising AQo when I know I'm going to have to play a many-way pot from the middle of the field. Offsuit cards + bloated pot + everyone knows my hand = problems postflop.

Just calling with AQ, AJ, and ATs when I am far from the button and people have limped in ahead of me is something I've been trying lately. It seems to work well. When I miss it's good to get away cheaply or at least people don't know what I am drawing to. When I hit my hand is well disguised and I have many more options postflop. There is also the Shania aspect that overlimping no longer promises a soft hand and begs someone to abuse me.

Postflop: My primary concern was that the SB called two bets cold on the flop. That sounds like a set or a sound draw to me. What else is a sensible player likely to have in a small pot against two TAGs? That was my thinking as the flop was being played.

When I saw the turn bet I pushed the draw idea aside and focused on the set. I considered and rejected aces up because I didn't see how we got here.

Someone asked why SB would play a set this way. The slowplay to preserve the remainder of the field and trap the TAGs is normal enough, especially for a tight-passive. But UTG+1 called off the war and then the ace fell on the turn. The bet may now seem necessary to him because I am not a PFR and I probably don't like the ace.

In retrospect I overlooked the nut flush draw which might be betting because it made a pair of aces. I could raise the river if he had that hand. But ten suited aces and six sets does not give me 2-1 so I'd like a few more hands for him to have.

Thoughts?