Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2006, 09:44 PM

Default Getting to Know Your 2+2 Opponents

I randomly got to wondering (since I seem to see the same TAGs all the damn time playing short handed) who my opponents are; age, gender, profession, etc... etc.. just to kind of quantify and compare my...*ahem*... arsenal if you will. I'll get the ball rolling.

I'm a 25 year old male, born in Texas, now living in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

I play poker professionally 2-4 tabling as low as 5/10$ and as high as 30/60$ always shorthanded, almost exclusively on Party.

I went to U Texas for 2 years as an Engineering major (which I sucked at), and tranferred to a smaller school where I played D2 soccer and graduated with a Criminal Justice degree.

My poker strengths: Good mathematical background and decisions, aggression, good hand reader.

My poker weaknesses: Table selection (see reason for post), too much aggression, variance gets to me (see monkey tilt), trouble getting enough hands in per month even though I have nothing but free time, oh and planning to bet/fold, but bet/calling instead.

Also, I'm set to be married next June and have 0 children that I know of.

Don't be shy now!
Old 03-21-2006, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Getting to Know Your 2+2 Opponents

Ok, I'll play.

I'm a 29 year old male, born in Morris, IL, now living in Summerville, SC.

I play poker professionally 5-tabling 10/20 and 20/40 6max, pretty much exclusively on Party (although that should change after this acceler-8-or bonus is over).

I graduated from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (ok, Virginia Tech [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) with a major of Political Science and a minor in Economics.

My poker strengths: Math, good poker instincts (from playing so much I guess), excellent recall memory, table selection, ability (willingness) to play lots of hands.

My poker weaknesses: Passive by nature, tilt, not following my plan in hands, and running bad.

___1___
Old 03-22-2006, 01:22 AM

I am 21 years old, born in Laguna Beach, now living in Pacific Beach(San Diego).

I like long walks on the beach, candle lit dinners, cuddling and unicorns.

I play semi-professionally on Party, almost exclusively in the 10/20 6-max games. I usually play 4 + tables and play about 30k hands a month.
Been playing for about a year and read Small Stakes twice before I even played 1 hand of poker for real money.

I am in my third year at the University of California at San Diego studying economics.

Strengths: Not tilting, table selection, focus.

Weaknesses: Sometimes too tight and can occasionally get pushed off of hands by better players, running bad.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:00 AM

I'm 22 years old. I graduated from Georgetown University (Sweet Sixteen baby - GO HOYAS!) last May. I've been deriving my income from poker since then, mostly 4-6 tabling the Party 10/20. I coach occasionally, and make a website every now and then - web designer is my cover story.

Poker Strengths: Hand reading, willingness to go with a read, determination, low emotional impact on a day-to-day basis. I table select Gooot and have no problem getting up from a game if i'm stuck or feeling tilty.

Poker Weaknesses: Downswing-despair - I lose my confidence when I have a bad run, and start to play very weak-tight/fit or fold. That causes me to second-guess myself often which is not good, and causes a negative-thinking feedback loop. I used to be bad at sticking to a plan, but now i'm better at it. I possibly trust my reads a bit too much, which leads to some spews.

I love to surf - i've lived in florida the past few months and the one week of waves i was out of town. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I have an amazing girlfriend in NY and I can't wait for the summer to move back up there and surf all the time and see her on a daily basis.

Surf
Old 03-22-2006, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I love to surf - i've lived in florida the past few months and the one week of waves i was out of town. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I have an amazing girlfriend in NY and I can't wait for the summer to move back up there and surf all the time and see her on a daily basis.

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

I love to surf too. I go almost everytime there is swell and usually make about 6 Baja trips a year. I also try to save money for one month long surf trip every summer. Last summer was Costa Rica, summer before that was Indonesia. Poker is an amazing job to have as a surfer. I havent missed a good day at Black's in the last 2 years.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:11 AM

general contractor, semi-pro poker player. i love to attempt to surf, but i just flat suck at it. i can snowboard pretty well though. been playing poker online for 3 years, just about a year seriously and now around 20-50K hands month depending on my real work load.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:30 AM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

I'm also a gc, playing about the same. It's kind of nice combination, I think. Free time fairly regularly, a nice income so I don't depend upon poker and I have a business that allows me to write off a lot stuff.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:36 AM

I am a 20 year old student at Michigan studying Business. It sucks the soul right out of me and makes me really hate money sometimes. That may be one of the reasons that I play so few hands per month.

I play 10/20 and 15/30 shorthanded depending on my mood, and I play maybe 5-6k hands a month. I usually one or two table and do not consider myself a poker pro (obviously).

my poker strengths are strong quantitative skills, not going on tilt a lot, and breaking lots of mouses when I do go on tilt

I don't have enough time or energy to talk about my poker weaknesses.

I am always up for talkin about hands, so feel free to PM me to get my IM name.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:41 AM

I'm a 20 year old male, and currently live in Vancouver, BC Canada. I will be moving to Kamloops BC for a few months at the end of April.

I play poker as my sole source of income right now, but I am also in school, so I suppose I would be considered semi-pro. I will be playing full time in the summer beginning May. This will be the first time I have not had a summer job. I fairly recently moved up to 10/20 6-max and have had success here for my first 20K hands, as well as small shots at bigger games (as high as 50/100).

I am just finishing up my 2nd year of a Commerce degree from UBC. I took Engineering for a while, but hated it so I transferred. Commerce is a little better, but I really don't think I'm a fan of school in general (I do quite well though).

My poker strengths: desire to learn, ability to learn things very quickly and understand concepts, playing on good tables

My poker weaknesses: I'm pretty sure my emotions are not controlled very well, inability to make laydowns, playing too much on "feel" and not paying enough attention to the math, taking shots at bigger games when I really shouldn't

I'm currently single with no life or career plan in mind. Hopefully I will be able to do something about those that sometime in the near future.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:48 AM

I'm a 22 year old male living in Davis, CA studying economics at UC Davis and the only class I go to is spanish because the teacher is hot. I play 30-40k hands per month, mostly 10/20 6max although I'm still new and I'm one 200 bb slide away from being back at 5/10. No real job, but I am an aspiring actuary and intend not to rely on poker exclusively.

Poker strengths: Hand reading, adjusting to different types of opponents

Poker weaknesses: Not following through with my plan during certain hands, opening for a raise lighter than is profitable during bad card runs, underestimating the competition, value betting the river against loose passives

I'm single, but there are a few women who would be really pissed at me if they heard me say that. I have no intentions of marrying until I'm at least 26. Variety is the spice of life and I intend to enjoy it while I still can.