Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2006, 08:20 AM

Default Live hand vs. Steve Dannenman

Was in Vegas last week for the annual "Guys, Golf and Gambling" trip. Took off from golf on Friday and played in the $540 event at the Wynn. 65 entries, top 9 pay, typically top 3 loaded, 3000 starting chips, 45 minute levels.

Steve moves to my table about an hour and a half in and is in the hijack position when I'm in the BB. Over the course of the next hour and a half he's been tight aggressive. Twice he's open raised on my BB - first time he got 2 callers from the blinds and he bet out when checked to him on an AQx rb board, he shows 57c when blinds fold; second time he stacks the CO when he leads out on a rag flop, calls the CO's shove and tables QQ.

I've been playing TAG as well w/ a chunk of my chips coming from the only showdown hand Steve would have seen - an UTG raise and a call of steaming shortstack button shove w/ AJs that held up against 73d.

About 3 hours in w/ ~25 left, 5th level, blinds 200/400/25, I'm at about avg stack at 8k and Steve above that but not a big stack, he open raises my BB to 1400 (table standard at this level - table has been relatively passive preflop -mostly bet/fold, some bet/call, rare bet/reraise). Folds to me and I wake up w/ AA.

Reraise or smooth call?

If you smooth call are there any boards you'll lead at or is the plan to CR literally any board?

HC
Old 03-21-2006, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Live hand vs. Steve Dannenman

Guessing steve has the button. I'd prefer a flat-call and c/r all-in 100% of time. Or you could bet out on the flop, if you feel that Steve has hit his hand.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:40 AM

Any raise other than a min-raise commits you so as it's push or call, I would call.

I would check raise nearly any flop. The only flop that comes to mind that I might lead in this situation would be monotone where I had the suited ace.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Reraise or smooth call?

[/ QUOTE ]

tough one. since he's demonstrated that's he's willing to bluff you dont know how hell respond to the reraise. the conservative side of me says raise him although i think it makes sense to call him and hope a CR works.

bwana
Old 03-21-2006, 11:44 AM

I would push. The push looks like a resteal. I am going to be pushing in this situation probably about 1/3 of my hands. I would expect to be called about half the time.

I think pushing is the best way to get the money in. Also, there is a lot in the pot and I don't mind if villain folds that much. AA is about 85% Dannenman's range, so you could lose the hand.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:08 PM

From what's been seen at the table, you know he likes to CB - so that right there tells me that a Cold Call and C/R all-in on any flop is the best move but that's just me.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:22 PM

I also like the push, and try to ham it up a little by acting a little uncomfortable (but obviously not overdoing it).
Old 03-21-2006, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also like the push, and try to ham it up a little by acting a little uncomfortable (but obviously not overdoing it).

[/ QUOTE ]

I might note there are many ways of doing this, depending on your read of Steve. A staredown might be successful, as most decent players read this as a sign of weakness. All depends on the history between you two, and how you have acted on previous hands.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:31 PM

This is a clear call and check/push any flop. He's being aggressive, the stacks are shallow. You can't pass up an opportunity to double up with AA (even with the risk of him catching a ridiculous flop).
Old 03-21-2006, 12:35 PM

I'd call with the CR on the flop. With the acting as in the previous post. Sometimes I sit and count to 15 before acting.