Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2006, 04:55 AM

Default PPM trip report

The core group that went together was me, mike (bizot), kyle (red_rain), jay (jayrockets), and of course the man of the trip, Schneider. We also had another couple buddies from here that went with their girlfriends – pickett and blake. A real sweet group.

It’s kind of a blur so I could have gotten a few details wrong…It’s super long and typed fast/sloppily because I don’t wanna spend 18 hours typing it up. I’m sure there are tons of typos.

The 5 of us decided to fly in on Saturday to make sure we’d have no problems getting on the boat and it would be fun/easy to spend a night in fort Lauderdale. We had no idea it would be like it was though. Spring break madness. Drunk people stumbling around everywhere…and the first thing we heard when we got to our hotel was a phone conversation the guy behind the desk was having with a guest who was complaining about the noise…”Jesus Christ quit your bitching it’s going to be loud until at least 4am” Ha. On the way to the hotel we also saw a delorean cruising down the strip with its doors all the way up. We’d never seen a car driving like that before.

We dropped our stuff off in the room and started walking down the beach…and got to a pizza place and ate pizza and drank many beers…using a street sign to open them because we didn’t have a bottle opener. Worked surprisingly well. One of the bar tender guys on the ship showed us how to open them using another bottle but we didn’t know how at the time.

Girls everywhere. The only single guy was Schneider and he’s not the type to seek out random girls…so nothing sweet ever happened really. Jay and I got invited to some girls’ room for “pizza and bitches” but I just didn’t want to put myself in the situation. (Go ahead and make fun of me). Ended up sitting down by the pool chatting with ourselves and random drunks til’ 6am or so.

Get a few hours sleep and get up for the cruise…and while we’re in line to board the cruise Schneider still doesn’t know if he’s going to play the tourney and if he can get a big enough stake. I initially told him I’d take 20% but then for whatever reason thought 10% was a better number. Woops. Get down to the 2+2 meet-up (thx metetron!) and it’s far more informal than anticipated. Anyone could have participated…and it took awhile to get drinks. Finally they started flowing and all was well. Was cool to put more faces with names...and there was a lot of em. I’m really bad with it though so I have to meet somebody a couple times before they completely stick sometimes. So if I ever gave anyone a weird look for some reason, my mind might have been elsewhere as there was a lot going on or I was probably just going through my head trying to remember your name.

Played some 100/200 the first night and did well. I was playing sharp and making some good plays. Lee (enon) was sweating me and I outplayed Schneider a few times and he was like omg wow. I even challenged Schneider to 100/200 HU as I was feeling so good and he was running bad as he always wants to play me hu and I wont. He turned me down! PWNTWN! Was the only successful session of the trip. I didn’t play any cash games in the middle because I was focused on the tourney or just having a good time.

The second night I was going to play an hour or two of 100/200 and go to bed…which I got the first part down and grabbed a beer on my way over to stopping by some friends playing 40/80 and they were having too much fun and stuck a corona in my hand and I was doomed(to wanting more coronas and screwing around). I played his chips while he dinked around for a few minutes. I straddled a few times and there was another 2+2er who’s a nit at the table and we asked him the –EV of a straddle and we determined $30 was a fair amount so every time I did it I pulled out 30 bucks and put it in his stack. I played a few other loose hands and in the end we determined I owed him about 250 haha. He was bragging to some guy how it was the best deal for him ever, cause if I won stupid pots he still got to keep the $ but when I lost I had to pay for it. We stayed up far too late of course…maybe 4am and had to be up at 9am for the tourney at 10.

The first day of the tourney I played really well and ran hot at the last level so I had tons of chips. My table was very weak/tight/honest so I pretty much just ran it over. I was exhausted by the end of it and had to be ready to go at 8am the next morning for Jamaica so decided to take the relaxing route…watch a comedy show and sat in the hot tub for an hour and a half and went to sleep.

We chose the Dunns river falls excursion…you hike up a cemented over waterfall thingy…930ft. Everyone enjoyed it. Got back on the catamaran and it was party time. None of us really felt like partying or knew partying was involved with this excursion, but it just kind of happened. Free rum punch/rum cokes and 2 dollar red stripes (was one of my fav beers for a bit) sounded good and before we knew it, jay and I were dancing along with the Jamaican girls who work on the boat. I saw blake driving the boat (of like 80 people) and thought it would be amusing to drive so I went drove. One of the Jamaican girls, along with blake and his gf started all grinding up behind me, so there I am trying to drive a boat with like 5 second delayed stearing (along with my slow reaction time) with a red stripe in one hand and a dance party going on right behind me. Good luck. Zig zag city for a few minutes but of course nobody cared as we were just cruising around. We got to the beach and immediately the locals are trying to sell us weed. We rented some jet skis for a half hour each and that was fun.

Got back to the ship at maybe 2pm and sleep til 7. The tourney starts at 8pm.

The second day I started out with some monster hands. I had aces twice, AK, and AQ all in the first orbit. I looked like a maniac and didn’t really want people calling (I’d way rather take the blinds most of the time) so I showed a couple of them. Things went just fine for an hour and a half. I even built my chips up from 60k to about 100k at one point with maybe 120 people left. Then the floor fell out. A couple 2 outers, a 3 outer, a few 6 outers in big pots, a nut straight vs a flush, good 2nd bests and all of a sudden I was looking down at 15k chips with 110 people left. Here is where I screwed up a little…I didn’t put a few things together-

First of all, going into this tournament I told myself I was going all out or going home. None of this limping into the money crap. I wanted to win it… Then when I had so many chips, I didn’t think it would be much of an issue so I didn’t put much/any thought into bubble strategy other than run it over cause a lot of people will be playing tight. There’s a key hand I screwed up. We were down to 103 players (99players paid) and I had 19k chips(blinds were 1k/2k playing 2k/4k limit). Part of my problem stemmed from when I palyed the $2500 limit world series event, the last few people before the money took hours to get knocked out and I since it all happened so fast I didn’t really even think about how this tourney was probably much different and the players would go a little faster…and after all, I wanted chips to win the thing.

UTG raised. She’s a tight player who made a comment last time when she raised Kqo utg that it was a loose raise for her. I was 2 spots next with jacks and thought about folding and as soon as I 3 bet I realized I probably should have. I dunno why but I just had a weird sick feeling I didn’t like. UTG capped….uh oh, this is a no bs cap. Not the player type to get fancy here. Flop KT9. I now have a gutshot, set draw and a backdoor club draw and take one off. Turn is a two and she bets and I fold. Now I have 9k chips. Doh. The very next hand I get 77 utg+1 and raise and get cold-called by aces and get knocked out. I walked out and talked to a couple of my buddies who were surprised by my demeanor. I was totally ok and pumped at how well I played in general and I stuck to my game plan and it didn’t work out.

20 minutes later the bubble is broken and players are in the money. 20 minutes…that’s like 2 orbits or so. Even if I play the jacks and much the 7’s I have enough for 2 orbits. If I muck the jacks I have a gazillion orbits left. I know I went to win it, but if you look at the prize structure, the money is hardly different until you get down to like 15th and the money starts at 99…so it didn’t really matter if I gained a few more chips at that point in the tourney, I was going to have to run well and accumulate far more than those chips to get any substantial more money anyhow, may as well get to the first tier. So there I played horribly…but really it was just more inexperience. I’m not a tourney guy and it all happened super fast and ridiculously. I know now and learned my lesson.

Schneider had started the day with 5500 chips but ran hot when it mattered and built up a stack and made it to the third day (36 people left) 4th in chips. Anyone who knew Schneider, knew he was definitely the favorite to win, with kenna james the 2nd favorite.

We get set up to go snorkeling in Cayman and even get up on time but decide not to. Jay and I just walk around the shops. We picked up Schneider in the Calcutta. Another great investment.

Went and played some short 200/400 and blew my brains. Played hu with a guy and then some people joined and then all of a sudden nobody wanted to play. Owell, it was getting to the point (like 15 people left in the tourney) to go cheer on Schneider so I was ok with it. I knew those guys would be drinking and need some more beers so I grabbed a bucket on the way there and of course they already had quite a few and decided to drink mostly red stripes that night and there were a few funny inside jokes goin around. I quickly cought up and shortly they were down to 1 table.

Every time Schneider would win a pot or make a good fold we’d cheer and clap and yell Schneider and just be loud just like if we were at a sporting event. Half the room was standing on chairs watching from a few feet back and one of the wives of one of the people running some sort of administration was sitting kinda by where we were and she asked me to take my shoes off of the chair I had one foot on and I looked at her like wtf hello everyone is standing on chairs and has been all night um no? Back up I go.

Down to 7 people and a guy gets all in. TT vs kenna's A8s (which he called 3 bets cold with) flop A82…turn a T. Bang. Doh. No final final table yet. Another player gets low and builds back up. A guy who was the chip leader for a few minutes and has not many chips left plays a hand and has two jacks vs schneiders KQ flop K high and schneider calls the flop and raises the guy all in on the turn (both enon and I got it on video) and jay gets so excited and is pumping his fists and smashes my camera out of my hand so it falls like 7 feet and breaks. Luckily the memory card is fine.

Final table starts at 2 and since we’re friends and family we got to sit up front…but it still sucked as you couldn’t follow the action at all since the table was up on stage and scott was doing a poor job announcing the hand action/where the blinds were etc and the screen was zoomed in so all you could see was the flop cards. He did a great job announcing minus that one problem though. We found out we could sit in one of the balcony boxes so we went up there and you could fully see the action from there and it was sooooooo much better. At one point scott said “Schneider, who clearly has the loudest cheering section had them in full force last night as well, and they got louder as the night went on as lots of red stripes were consumed.” And gave us a little smile. You could tell he enjoyed our enthusiasm.

Kenna james was a real class act and funny and he knew his place vs Schneider too. He made a comment about how he was going to have to get lucky to be able to win. He generally avoided playing pots with mike, especially out of position. He completed his small blind and folded a few times, as well as just open folded, which is rare for kenna who typically plays very aggressively.

3 handed took what seemed like forever. Schneider had most of the chips and both scott and kenna were very low, vying for 2nd place and letting Schneider pick up pot after pot and run them down. Finally heads up and Schneider had 4.7 million chips or so to kenna’s 600k or something. They were playing 60k/120k and within 3 hands they were all in. Schneider had Q4 vs kenna’s 83. Flop A22. The tension is huge. Turn is a ten. DUUUUUUUUUUUUECE we’re yelling. I’ve never cheered so much for a deuce in my life. Bang. 3. Kenna doubles up. No biggy, still super low in chips. About 5 hands later they get all in again. Schneider with QT vs kenna’s J6. The flop has a q and the turn blanks and it’s all over! They tell us to come down on stage and present the check and give out champagne and we pick him up and interview him and it was crazy. You could tell he was shocked by all of it. It all just happened so fast.

Went and grabbed dinner and then went to play craps. Didn’t play that long as I lost the 500 I was willing to play with and I think most other people lost too, but it all didn’t matter. Our guy won the tourney! How cool! Overwhelming for him I’m sure…everyone stopping to congratulate him and a number of people telling him what to do with his money. He was exhausted and went to bed early, but jay and I weren’t gonna let it stop us from celebrating so we went and partied in the crows nest.

The last day I blow my brains again, this time at 400/800 short-handed. Peter (the guy I played hu 4/8 at commerce and am going to play again) is another player has been playing for a day and a half and the cardroom is closing in like 3 hours so they’re trying to get unstuck quickly. Beat beat beat. Owell. I played well. The only problem was all players on our trip (minus the whole Schneider winning the tourney thing…small detail) lost so we were cash broke. Was a pretty common problem on the ship. Of course I could find a couple thousand here or there, but it just wasn’t worth trying to piece together a 4/8 roll so we just enjoyed the evening instead. Grabbed a table outside on the deck, ordered a bunch of coronas and played some team Chinese poker. Man is it fun/relaxing to be outside like that and be able to play cards. Played some ping pong as well. Oh, I’d like to state that I was undefeated in shuffleboard on the trip. Somewhere around 9-0. If anyone wants a game next year I’m in.

After a few hours sleep we get off the ship and try to check into our hotel and they wont let us for a number of hours. Doh. It’s not spring break like at this place either. Spend the day there and fly out the next morning.

Wow. I left a few things out just cause it’s long enough as is. Hope I didn’t forget anything significant…even though I’m sure I did.

It was great spending all that time with the Minnesota guys and meeting a number of new people. Congrats Schneider, you deserve it!
Old 03-21-2006, 05:04 AM

Default Re: PPM trip report

I dominate.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:27 AM

i can't believe i turned down mike's offer to go with. i am dumb.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:05 PM

I didn't get a chance to say more than hi to u or wish you luck on day 2. i watched you play 400/800 for awhile with what seemed like 12 year old asian guys, needless to say it was kinda funny how much a minnesota guy stuck out. it was nice playin with ya for those 20 minutes or so and im glad 2+2 had a good showing.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jay and I got invited to some girls’ room for “pizza and bitches” but I just didn’t want to put myself in the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

And to think that you used to be my hero.

I don't want to be labled another BK butt kisser, but nice report. I always enjoy your posts; especially the "My Story" post that I read a million times.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:02 PM

Nice trip report. I like how you budgeted out money for craps:P
Old 03-21-2006, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i can't believe i turned down mike's offer to go with. i am dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]
wtf
Old 03-21-2006, 01:21 PM

BK, it was good to meet you on the trip, if only briefly. Dunno if you saw, but I went on the Dunn's River Falls excursion, too. I sat at the back of the catamaran with my girlfriend, drinking rum punch and Red Stripe. The private beach in Jamaica was gorgeous. I did not want to leave.

Nice trip report.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I sat at the back of the catamaran with my girlfriend, drinking rum punch and Red Stripe. The private beach in Jamaica was gorgeous. I did not want to leave.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-21-2006, 01:41 PM
 is offline

Great trip report. Felt like I was there myself (oh wait, I guess I was).

Add me to the list of people who left the trip down a ton. And for a second, I thought I was the only one.

My offer still stands if you ever feel the need to bestow your wisdom on someone through coaching.