Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2006, 03:00 AM

Default 1/2, 77 blind steal attempt

Absolute Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $1/$2
5 players
Converter

<font color="blue">Villain is 29/15/1.6 over 34 hands.</font>

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6SB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#cc3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (7BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc3333">Hero...?</font>
Old 03-21-2006, 03:01 AM

Default Re: 1/2, 77 blind steal attempt

c/f
Old 03-21-2006, 03:05 AM

If you bet and Villain calls, or if you check and Villain bets, you're probably screwed.

Betting might give you a little folding equity. Checking could encourage a bluff.

I probably bet-fold, but check-calling is a consideration, I think.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:23 AM

I honestly hate bet/folding here. Conventional wisdom just blindly suggests a clarkmeister, but hand ranges here clearly dictate that there's no value in a bet and little bluff EV. I also think c/c is the worst of all options. Personally I would have given up on a flop against most opponents, you have zero draws, if he's on something like AK with a heart you're not ahead by a ton, it's more than possible you're against something like TT or JJ here where you spew bets while way behind. He's simply not bluffing here, and if you're lucky enough you're going to see a showdown while behind and a showdown the rare times you're ahead.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly hate bet/folding here. Conventional wisdom just blindly suggests a clarkmeister, but hand ranges here clearly dictate that there's no value in a bet and little bluff EV. I also think c/c is the worst of all options. Personally I would have given up on a flop against most opponents, you have zero draws, if he's on something like AK with a heart you're not ahead by a ton, it's more than possible you're against something like TT or JJ here where you spew bets while way behind. He's simply not bluffing here, and if you're lucky enough you're going to see a showdown while behind and a showdown the rare times you're ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. I guess maybe SB vs. BB battles are different at Absolute 1/2 than at the Party 5/10 games I'm getting used to.

I don't see any real reason to give up when Villain calls the flop checkraise. And his turn call does not convince me he has a better pair or a heart.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:39 AM

I don't play AP 1/2 either. I'm not saying we're behind on the flop or the turn either, but we have black 77 and one relatively bad overcard and the hand just gets into a spewfest against better and worse hands for me.

I didn't mean give up after he calls the flop c/r, but if he'll continue to bet something like AK I don't see a ton of reasons to c/r.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:18 PM

Default Results

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. I guess maybe SB vs. BB battles are different at Absolute 1/2 than at the Party 5/10 games I'm getting used to.

I don't see any real reason to give up when Villain calls the flop checkraise. And his turn call does not convince me he has a better pair or a heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, because he just called me on the flop and turn, I decided to go the bet/fold route. I'm still not sure it was a good idea. And damn it, he called. But then he mucked Ad5c and MHIG! Then he had the gall to berate me (although I have to say his river call is quite beration-worthy). Thanks for the input, guys. I might trying C/Ring the flop against a guy like this again, but maybe try something different on the river (feeling lucky this time).
Old 03-21-2006, 12:30 PM

I don't really see the point of the flop c/r. You are not folding better hands so why not just let him continue with overcards. You lose less when behind and win more when ahead.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:42 PM

well he's going to keep calling with overcards, so by letting him bet you get 2.5 with your line if we're good at the end and with the c/r we get 3. plus if you get 3 bet or raised on the turn then the turn is an easy fold, and we actually save when we are behind.

-Kai