Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2006, 07:46 PM

Default Set on the river

Ok so how do you maximize catching your set on the river AS the aggressor the whole way through? Also any leaks on my play would be appreciated. BTW no reads... First hand lol.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

CO ($111.68)
Button ($443.12)
SB ($457.10)
Hero ($200)
UTG ($167.65)
MP ($316.06)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $6.

Flop: ($17) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $9</font>, Button calls $9.

I was just trying to take it down here... That didn't work out too well.

Turn: ($35) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, Button calls $15.

I realize this is a pretty weak bet... now that I look at it I don't even know why I fired out such a weak bet. Anyone want to tell me how much to fire out here if to fire at all?

River: ($65) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero?
Old 01-07-2006, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Set on the river

14 on the flop. I like to lead this flop, because it's likely to have missed your opponent. If I get called I'm done with the hand unless I catch a set. Check/fold turn. When you hit the set, I pot it. He's got something he likes and will pay you if not raise, or he was just playing sheriff on the flop and has no pair. In both those cases he makes the same decisions whether you bet pot or half pot.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:21 PM

Half pot bets aren't bad bets... but what's he calling you with? If you're lucky he's calling with AK. You're OOP playing a raised pot with bottom pair. Being OOP in NLHE is a big disadvantage. You're calling preflop most of the time for the implied odds of set value.

Part of the +EV in that is just check/folding when you miss (Not to say you should do that all the time, that would be retarded)

But you took a shot... you should bet 12+ on the flop.

On the turn I dont mind a check or maybe even a check raise representing an eight. If you're going to bet bet 20-25.

And definately bet the river. I'd bet around 40 on the river. If you're bold and have a good read you can check to induce a bluff.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:43 PM

I just realized subconsciously I played this like I had a flush draw... my bets were so weak it looked like I was trying to get cheap hearts. Anyone else think I played this like a flush draw?

And with that in mind shouldn't I overbet the river to make it look like a missed draw?
Old 01-07-2006, 09:33 PM

If you want to make him fold, making weak half-pot bets isn't going to do it. Even if you do 1/2 pot the flop, you think he is going to fold to a 1/2 pot turn bet? I check/fold this flop because I'm weak/tight.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:44 PM

dont bet the flop, any draw whatsoever is a favorite against you and you will need to continue to bet to get them to fold, meaning you are spewing against higher pp.