Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2006, 07:47 PM

Default Trying to Learn Hi-Lo - Is This How I should Play Rolled Hands

Decided I couldn't resist all the huge pots any more. I realise that I should go and read the Ray Zee book, and I will if I decide that I want to play Hi-Lo seriously.

I'm guessing that this is standard. The only problem is that it makes my hand range either rolled fives or aces in the hole, and the guy with the kings got away easily on fourth. Any other lines?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($3/$6), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes___raises
Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (13.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (7.50 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (9.50 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

River - (11.50 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (13.50 BB)
Old 03-19-2006, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Trying to Learn Hi-Lo - Is This How I should Play Rolled Hands

you have a dream scenario with small rolled ups against two people going high. as you said, the reraise on 5th gave your hand away. just smoothcall to 5th, then punish em

wolf
Old 03-19-2006, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only problem is that it makes my hand range either rolled fives or aces in the hole, and the guy with the kings got away easily on fourth. Any other lines?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. You could also have a great low or two-way hand like 345 suited. With this hand in particular you could even raise a little looser [perhaps say (37)6] since the only baby behind you is the bring-in and you'd like to get rid of him.

The guy with Kings also saw one go down to Seat 2 while you caught another baby. If you've got 24 in the hole, he's a big dog and he rightfully folds.

Generally you'll find that it's best to pay rolled up hands fast in Stud/8. This hand pretty much plays itself. Seat 4 must really like his hand to call you down considering your aggression and scary board.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:44 AM

I would also play (45)6 like this, so I wouldn't be giving my hand away on third street with this action. This all looks pretty standard.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:10 AM

I like to play my rolled up trips (especially 6's and lower) very fast in Stud 8, because I also play a lot of low suited connectors very fast like Andy suggested. As long as you don't ONLY make this play with trips, you generally have a very well disguised hand.

In Stud 8, I usually prefer to play these hands fast the whole way through and hope to sandwich another player going for high, and slowplaying trips doesn't have as much value as it does in Stud High.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would also play (45)6 like this, so I wouldn't be giving my hand away on third street with this action. This all looks pretty standard.

[/ QUOTE ]