Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2006, 06:40 AM

Default betting no limit

I've been playing b&m and online 2/4 no limit. When I have what I consider the best hand on the flop I bet enough to protect my hand from any straight or flush draw, or two pair etc. For example if there's 50 in the pot, and I have top pair, and if the flop looks dangerous, I will bet 2/3 or more of the pot (depending on how high the top pair) . However I have noticed other players betting modest bets (on above example they might bet 15 or 20) which seems to me seems wrong since it allows draws to come in with the proper odds. However I do notice they are gaining in chips. Who's right? I'm afraid to slow play a set when there's possible straights or flushes. Help.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:46 AM

Default Re: betting no limit

They're luckboxes
Old 03-19-2006, 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They're luckboxes

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-19-2006, 07:15 AM

Yeah, you're playing it the right way. I've had these bet a quarter types allow me to flush them on the river more than a couple times.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:35 AM

This situation is quite complicated.

You need to put your opponent(s) on a range of hands. Don't assume your opponent must have a flush draw just because there are two of a suit on the board. Your opponent could have an overpair, a set, nothing, etc. You would like to protect your hand from draws, but you need to extract money from weaker made hands, avoid paying off stronger made hands, and induce bad bluffs and bad value bets.

You can't profitably avoid paying off all draws, so betting the full pot may not protect your hand. See this hand. Betting twice the pot on the flop was horrible for getting value from weaker made hands and hands that were almost drawing dead, and did not protect that set from a draw.

Think about your range of hands, too. You may want to semi-bluff with bets the same size as your protection bets. (Part of the way I protect my hands from flush draws is by semi-bluffing with higher flush draws.) This may mean that you don't choose the optimal size for either.

It's not the end of the world to price a draw in, particularly on the flop, when draws are strongest.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've had these bet a quarter types allow me to flush them on the river more than a couple times.

[/ QUOTE ]
One of the things that makes soft NL games easy to beat is that people will undercharge draws, and then pay off big with weak hands. It's not so profitable to be charged only 1/4 of the pot on each street to river your flush, then find that your opponent was bluffing or hates his hand and won't pay you anything, or your opponent had the nut flush draw, and you have to rebuy now.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:10 AM

No limit

All in.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:28 AM

Good post as usual p...and thanks for the link.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:29 AM

I don't see a link,.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:55 PM

P your response is very wise and I can see how it can increase profit. My questions still linger... let's say, after the flop, I put my opponent on a range of hands-- top pair (weak kicker), ---and a draw, (I have top pair with great kicker) what is my bet? Do I forget protecting my hand and draw him in with a bet that allows him 4 to 1 odds. Are you saying that its okay to let draws have their odds? Is this profitable in the long run? You also state that you semi bluff that you have a higher flush - what's your method? Thanks for the insight.