Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2006, 03:01 PM

Default Limping with rockets.

<font color="blue">Every once in a while, I try this move. How stupid is it, on a scale of 1 to 10?</font>

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG+2 ($24.50)
MP1 ($40.84)
MP2 ($44.48)
MP3 ($59.96)
CO ($24.90)
Pokey ($35.50)
SB ($28)
BB ($9.50)
UTG <font color="#A500AF">(Donk)</font> ($9.90)
UTG+1 ($45.55)

Preflop: Pokey is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, Pokey calls $0.25, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

<font color="blue">With 7 people folding, I figure the only way I can make more than 35 cents on my pocket aces is if I limp. I realize this gives the opponents more chances to draw out on me, but I also realize that it disguises the hell out of my hand. Realize that I would only limp an absolute monster in this position. While that sounds like it gives away entirely too much information to the table, it really doesn't -- nobody really pays attention, and I find I get plenty of action when I try it. Also, I don't always limp monsters in this position; maybe 20% of the time or so, and mostly against players that typically fold their blinds to a steal.</font>

Flop: ($0.75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.75</font>, Pokey calls $0.75, SB calls $0.75.

<font color="blue">Reasonably safe flop, and BB bets it for me. I continue to slow-play in the hopes of keeping the pot three-way.</font>

Turn: ($3) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Pokey bets $3</font>, SB folds, BB calls $3.

<font color="blue">Time to drop the hammer. BB doesn't get it yet.</font>

River: ($9) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Pokey bets $5.5</font>, BB calls $5.50 (All-In).

Final Pot: $20

<font color="blue">And I get him all-in, with a pot that is $20 instead of $1.35. So: is this worth doing occasionally, or should I just take my 35 cents and run?</font>
Old 01-07-2006, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Limping with rockets.

I vote 10.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:04 PM

This is why we get bad beat posts. They will think its a button raise and give you action anyway
Old 01-07-2006, 03:06 PM

no way you limp with AA on the button. Only time I would limp with AA is if I was in EP and I was pretty sure there would be a raise behind me. Then I would reraise for a good chunk of their stack.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:17 PM

Raise it so it looks like a steal anyway.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:21 PM

OK, info assimilated. No more stupid plays from the button. I swear. Well, maybe a few, but not this stupid play. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2006, 03:38 PM

I wouldn't do it, but I'm not sure it's terrible. I'd be raising a lot of hands here for 3BB. Hopefully the blinds would have gotten used to that and would be reading me for something like Ax, QT.

For those who think it's awful, I have a question. Would you automatically raise AA heads up? It seems I see them checked on TV. If those guys know what they are doing, what is so much worse about checking 3 handed?
Old 01-07-2006, 04:54 PM

i hate getting monsters in very late position when the table has folded around to me. even if im playing fairly loose, and i try to make it look like a blind stealing raise, they fold. but as soon as i try stealing with a hand like K9 the peckers will call/raise [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2006, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't do it, but I'm not sure it's terrible. I'd be raising a lot of hands here for 3BB. Hopefully the blinds would have gotten used to that and would be reading me for something like Ax, QT.

For those who think it's awful, I have a question. Would you automatically raise AA heads up? It seems I see them checked on TV. If those guys know what they are doing, what is so much worse about checking 3 handed?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't compare what you see being done with AA heads up on television with what needs to be done with AA on the button in 25NL online.

Deception has a lot more value heads up against a pro for a pile of money. Playing 25NL online, you need to worry about building pots with your big hands. Limping with AA only invites trouble.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:18 PM

At 25NL, you can almost totally discount the factor of "What does he think I have".

Most players at 25 NL either:
a) suck, and barely know what's in their own hands, never mind what you did on the button for the last 3 orbits.
b) are playing so many tables at once, they're not playing attention to what you did on the button for the last 3 orbits.

Few players adjust to what they see going on around them at these limits, unless it's blindingly obvious. (LAG raising PF every hand, guy bluffing all the time, etc.)

It's a lot easier to make a note of every solid player you meet at $25NL, than make notes on all the crap players.