Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2006, 02:09 PM

Default AKo Dilema (repeating issue for me)

I've been lurking around the forums and decided maybe if I started posting instead of watching I may actually get bettter, so here goes. I seem to lose a lot of money playing top pair...I think this is one of my largest problems right now. Looking back I should have bet $2 on the flop, but even so I still have no idea what to do on the turn if I get called. Only have 21 hands on CO, is 52/24/2.6, I've seen them call a raise or raise twice preflop with ace-rag. Thanks for the help!

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) converter

MP2 ($9.45)
MP3 ($3.20)
CO ($19.45)
Button ($12.90)
SB ($9.30)
BB ($9.85)
Hero ($16.85)
UTG+1 ($3.55)
MP1 ($6.90)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $0.45, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($1.60) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.2</font>, CO calls $1.20, SB folds.

Turn: ($4) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Hero? <font color="red"> </font>
Old 01-07-2006, 02:24 PM

Default Re: AKo Dilema (repeating issue for me)

Against an opponent who is VPIP 52%, you just can't be worried. If he plays Ax and hits two pair, you're going to lose money; it's just that simple. However, you're much more likely to have him out-kicked, and in the long run, your bets are going to be for value.

I agree that a bigger flop bet would have been a good choice, especially on a draw-heavy flop like this one. Any two clubs or any two KQJ are going to like their "almost made hands" and want to call you. Don't let them. Top pair wins small pots; take it before you lose a big pot. I think $2 takes the pot here from most players, barring something nasty.

If he calls your $2 bet, it's time to start blocking. You'd really like to see a showdown, but you don't want to pay a whopping fortune for it. A 25% pot bet on the turn and river should do the job. Rarely, opponent will fold and you'll drag the pot then and there. Slightly more often, opponent will raise you, at which point you can probably release, depending on how ugly the board is and how aggro your opponent is. The big trick is not to get stacked here, and that's what the blocking bets do -- they keep the pot relatively low so you can get out of the hand alive if you're behind.

Remember: with an aggro of 2.6, your opponent is going to clobber you if you check. Personally, I'd rather bet $1.5 into a $6 pot with TPTK instead of check/calling a $5 turn bet or check/folding TPTK.

The key point here is that your hand is a weak made hand. As a result, you want to keep your stack OUT of the pot. Try to take it on the flop, then block your way to a showdown.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:40 PM

I think your flop bet is OK. I like to make continuation bets of around 2/3 pot. Maybe I'd shade higher because of the flush draw, but with the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in your hand, all the Axs flush draws are dead so I would not be too concerned about it.

On the turn I'd assume you still ahead. I'd read the villain for an Ace with a weaker kicker. I'd bet $3, and plan on leading out the river for around 1/2 pot. If raises either street, cal a mini-raise but fold to a push.

BTW since you are new, I'd recommend not just posting your hands put replying to other people's posts too. Do it without reading the other replies. They call it "Grunching" here (after the guy who first recommended it). There's something about writing out what you think that makes you think more thoroughly about the hand. Don't worry that people about getting it wrong - it's a lot cheaper here than at the tables [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2006, 02:48 PM

Nice post, Pokey.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the advice, "Grunching" does sound like a great idea. Anyway, here's the rest of the hand and my thoughts. The block bet on the turn was my intention, folding to a decent sized raise, but then the "almost" min-raise gave me second thoughts and I called. Then on the river, I checked fully prepared to fold to the 1/2 pot to stack bet, but the 1/4 pot bet again intrigued me enough to call. I'm very aware that I donked this up...o well, at least I only lost half my stack.

Turn: ($4) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $3.5</font>, Hero calls $2.

River: ($11) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $2.6</font>, Hero calls $2.60.

Final Pot: $16.20
<font color="white"> </font>
*** SHOW DOWN ***
CO: shows [Ah 5h] (two pair, Aces and Fives)
Hero: mucks hand
CO collected $15.45 from pot

(also, showing that I'm really new, I can't figure out how to get the results to post in white...)
Old 01-07-2006, 02:56 PM

I didn't look at results yet, but vs this type of player, I love my hand on this flop, and would bet close to pot on turn, and most likely call a push.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice post, Pokey.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, very nice. Basic strategy:

Flop less than two pair: check/fold
Flop two pair to a flush: check/call it down
Flop quads or greater: Bet.

/end sarcasm
Old 01-07-2006, 03:04 PM

pot bet the flop, pot bet the turn
Old 01-07-2006, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nice post, Pokey.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, very nice. Basic strategy:

Flop less than two pair: check/fold
Flop two pair to a flush: check/call it down
Flop quads or greater: Bet.

/end sarcasm

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'm really not getting why it's horrid for me to suggest a weak-tight strategy at a micro-limit NL game. What am I missing? Seriously, you seem to think my advice is just awful, so I'm honestly interested in learning why. I'm still new to no-limit, so I'm eager to hear the opinions of more experienced players.

(I agree that at a $500NL table this wouldn't work at all, but at a nickel/dime blind game, it seems entirely appropriate to me.)
Old 01-07-2006, 03:25 PM

Because for every one time he has a hand that ends up beating you here, 5 times he'll have a hand that doesn't like A9/TJ/flush draw/gutshot. You need to make the most on those hands as you can to make up for the times he can beat TPTK. They will call Hero down with TPWK and draws here. Be aggressive on flop and turn until villian shows you a reason to be careful.