Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2006, 01:30 PM

Default QQ 6 handed FT of WSOP sat advice requested

Setup: I'm new to the WSOP qualifiers, and have started to play sat qualifiers to the bigger 'real WSOP qualifiers' at Full Tilt and Stars. This came up yesterday and wanted your opinions...

This is a Stars Double Shootout WSOP qualifier sat (the $16 ones), I won the first table and we were down to 6 handed play here at the FT. Players were all pretty loose, we had 4 down by this blind level and all in moves were pretty common. I've seen everyone at the table make moves/calls with less than premium hands, the chip leader (MP) in particular had played about 80% of the pots to this point.

Here is the hand in question.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

MP (t4610)
CO (t4307)
Button (t1775)
Hero (t2045)
BB (t1998)
UTG (t265)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t200</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t200, Hero calls t175, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t650</font>, MP folds, Button calls t450, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2070</font>, BB calls t1348 (All-In), Button folds.

So, to my decisions here:

a) Is just calling the initial raise by MP that the button called too a mistake? Should I be the one popping it up or pusing at that point perhaps?

b) When I call and the BB raises it, but only to 650, does that scream AA/KK or what? When MP folded but the button called, I put them both on AK or smaller PP - KK/AA, not exclusively AA/KK. With that range, I have me at a 55-45 advantage, is that range too big / a major leak perhaps?

c) Is the best approach here to put them on AA/KK and take a flop, and play the Qs for set value only?

Any advice is appreciated, my game is improving thanks to you all here and being able to rail quite a bit, but in-game situations are still a major work in progress! (and I can't figure out how to not reveal what the person had I think it's obvious from the post itself, but...!)
Old 03-17-2006, 02:01 PM

Default Re: QQ 6 handed FT of WSOP sat advice requested

Omg, shove as your first action. After the BB rr I still think your shove is a good play considering BB will still have AK, JJ enough times, hell he might even do that with AQ too.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:05 PM

I'm definately repopping pre-flop.

When God smiles on me, and the BB raises, there's no way I'm not going to felt. Survival is useless. You have to win this thing, and you do that by amassing a huge stack so that you can dominate when things get short-handed.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

When God smiles on me, and the BB raises, there's no way I'm not going to felt. Survival is useless. You have to win this thing, and you do that by amassing a huge stack so that you can dominate when things get short-handed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-17-2006, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I wasn't interested in survival at this point, though 2 people out of the 6 did get the qualifier T$... I thought my Qs were best given the range and pushed. The question is whether, given mistake#1 (calling the pre-flop intial raise), I further compounded that mistake by pushing when someone else re-raised but by just enough that he wanted callers (or someone to push like I did...)
Old 03-17-2006, 02:43 PM

Push the first time you get a chance preflop. Live with the rest of whatever happens.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Push the first time you get a chance preflop. Live with the rest of whatever happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I think that's the best approach, if I run into a hand so be it, but I think the worst part of the hand was me calling that initial bet from MP... I do that way too often (weak/tight i think they call it, then passive/aggressive with the push over the top later maybe [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

thanks...
Old 03-17-2006, 02:47 PM

Yeah, not good to be completely bipolar during the course of a hand usually. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2006, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, not good to be completely bipolar during the course of a hand usually. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

we all have our daemons (har har)
Old 03-17-2006, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]