Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2006, 02:46 PM

Default Stars $.25 KK hand - straightforward?

Is this ABC, or am I missing something?

Edit: This was the sixth hand of a session. Villian is not in my pt records. I tend to pick tables that seem conservative since I have trouble with aggressive players, but beyond that no real reads.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) converter

MP3 ($10.15)
CO ($15.20)
Button ($3.95)
SB ($12.15)
BB ($9.45)
UTG ($7.15)
UTG+1 ($27.40)
MP1 ($6.65)
Hero ($10.70)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls $0.90, BB calls $0.75, UTG calls $0.75.

Flop: ($4) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, SB calls $3, BB folds, UTG folds.

Turn: ($10) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $8.15 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $18.15
Old 03-16-2006, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Stars $.25 KK hand - straightforward?

depends on your read. if he is playing alot of pots its very likely he has a 10 and you are dead to a 10. esp at ssnl though if someone is super loose PF then i sometimes pay them off depending on the way they bet. ive seen so many aj, kj, qq hands in this type of spot that i dont mind the call. the fact that he check called just looks like a draw then an all in when it hits. really need more info on the villain. with no reads i think i just fold and pick a better spot because we arent beating much here.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:55 PM

Looks good. Seems he had jack ten.

"I mean seriously, jack ten is the only hand that makes four different straights, all of which are the nut straight."
Old 03-16-2006, 03:18 PM

raise a little more preflop.

conventional SSNL wisdom = 4xBB +1BB per limper.

You are 4th to act with 1 limper already and face action from 6 players after you raise.

You have a big pair and ideally want to see this flop HU with the UTG limper. So raise a little more preflop to discourage people from calling who don't also have a good hand.

I'd raise to $2 or so here.

other than that looks standard.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'd raise to $2 or so here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting. I have to admit, I thought I was raising 4xBB. I didn't realize a BB was 2 x the big blind (I was familiar with this in LHE, but didn't realize it carried over to NL. Yes, I'm relatively new at this.)

To be honest that sort of raise may be a little out of my comfort zone, but I will work it in.

If I raise $2 here, how do I play a re-raise pre-flop? Push?
Old 03-16-2006, 03:45 PM

I realize its too early to tell if he is smart enough to play rationally but 2 parts of the story are fishy for him having a 10. First, if he has an OESD on the flop then he has to assume you will always call the turn all in just to get EVEN implied odds. Second, why lead the turn? If he made his SD why not let you continue to bet for him?

If he started with QT or T7 then he should have folded preflop.

I wouldn't be shocked if he had a T just because it is low limit and you see everything and you have no read...but I might call here because his straight story doesn't really add up. Maybe he has a set/2pair and is now trying to price YOU out.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You are 4th to act with 1 limper already and face action from 6 players after you raise.

You have a big pair and ideally want the entire table to call . So raise a little more preflop but not so much as to discourage people from calling who don't also have a good hand.

I'd raise to $ 1.25 or so here.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 03-16-2006, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You have a big pair and ideally want the entire table to call . So raise a little more preflop but not so much as to discourage people from calling who don't also have a good hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You have a big pair and ideally want the entire table to have poor odds for a call while building a pot that makes it harder for callers to get away from postflop and narrowing villain's range to allow reasonable postflop decisions . So raise a little more preflop but not so much that it narrows your range to the point they realize they have poor odds to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 03-16-2006, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. I have to admit, I thought I was raising 4xBB. I didn't realize a BB was 2 x the big blind (I was familiar with this in LHE, but didn't realize it carried over to NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true? I thought people were always talking in terms of the big blind. So when you typically raise preflop in a .10/.25 game you'd raise to 1.50+? I've been doing .75-1.00.

Along the same line when people talk about PTBB/100 how does that relate to everything? Is that just the BB/100 displayed in poker tracker or do people multiply/divide that number before reporting it?