Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2006, 01:16 PM

Default My blind play suks.....

I'm trying to defend my blinds a bit more cause I reckon I don't defend enough. How did I do in this hand? I decided on the flop that I was going to SD as cheaply as possible.

Should I be taking this hand to SD or should I let it go on the flop? Or even raise the flop?

Villain 43/10/0.9 ATSB 20 (reading these stats tells me I should fold the flop I think)

Cryptologic 1.00/2.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (7.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 9.25 BB.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:24 PM

Default Re: My blind play suks.....

Making a rough guess based on his stats, I would say that this guy is the type to openlimp from the button a decent amount of the time. This lends credibility to his raise. The preflop cap further increases the probability that he has a strong hand. So what are we ahead of on the turn? Well, a few hands, namely AK, AQ, AT, KQ and any Ax or PP that he maight be capping for some reason. We are obviously behind 99+, A9, AJ,and KJ. The turn card is good because it limits his holdings that beat you.

However, on the river, when the third over falls and he still fires a third barrel at you, I think you gotta let it go. I am beginning to seriously doubt whether we were ever ahead in this hand, and even if we were the Villain just connected his AQ or KQ.

I fold the river. If an undercard fell, I would call.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:25 PM

preflop is good

postflop I don't really like. It seems like you made the decision to goto SD before you even saw the flop and never reevaluated.

On these types of hands I usually like to get a little aggressive early and fold if villian plays back at me. It ends up being cheaper than a straight calldown.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:26 PM

I posted this yesterday, at 1/2 not many opponents raise from the button to steal blinds. The rake is a huge deterrent. A 20% ATSB is raising a hand that he likes.

You are probably beat here on the flop drawing to 2.5 outs (runner runner straight being the .5). What are you trying to prove by calling down?

A semi-passive low pfr capped you. Either accept his cap being a hand that beats you or if you need more help raise the flop and fold to the 3 bet (this guy unlikely 3bets AK, which is the only hand you are ahead of). Calling down is a bad idea.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:28 PM

I'd fold the river, only hand you're beating is AK and he should check that behind.

I don't really like raising the flop since you'll have to peel a 3 bet due to BD outs, and you might pick up something on 4th street that forces you to see the river and spend more than you wanted to. Also you miss out on another chance at spiking your 2 outs if he does 3 bet the flop or raises the turn.