Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Kinsman1josh / Fobol on Party 10/20 Stud8

Does anyone know if this guy is a 2+2er? I play with him nearly every day and I almost never see him lose. He apparently makes a couple grand a day in the game. He's the type of player that knows how to play correctly, but also knows how to play wrong and make you pay for it anyways. He is an insane winner in the game to the point of a couple of the regulars accusing him of cheating. These are mostly baseless accusations from losers, but the guy does never seem to miss catching the card he needs. He doesn't play a real tight game either, as I've seen him play a lot of one way only hands quite effectively (even as bad as TT in the hole). I can only surmise that his mindset is is that the low hands have to draw out to beat him, which is the total opposite of most players' thinking (myself included) when they have a high only hand in a multiway pot.

Thoughts?
Old 11-17-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Kinsman1josh / Fobol on Party 10/20 Stud8

[ QUOTE ]
He apparently makes a couple grand a day in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He apparently makes a couple grand a day in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-17-2005, 06:18 PM

Okay....

He buys in for $500 every time. Every time I look he's up at least 300-400 on each table per session. He plays in spurts throughout the day. So perhaps not a couple grand.

And nothing more to add besides a rebuff of my guesstimate?
Old 11-17-2005, 06:21 PM

I haven't played that game in a while, but I never remember playing against him. If I start playing it again I'll look and see what I can come up with. A couple of grand a day seems like a little too much. He could just be running very hot right now.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:23 PM

I have been reading, and thinking a lot lately about what makes an average poker player into a huge winner(like this guy) and I have come to the conclusion that adjusting to your opponents play is far more important that everyone really believes. There have been posts about this lately in the Mid-Hi limit forum and this idea of adjusting to the texture of the game and your opponents obviously applies to all forms of poker. It's possible this guy is just on a mega heater, but it is also possible this guy sees a lot of angles that people like myself do not. The more I read about the 30-60 game and now this guy crushing the 10-20 the more it makes me believe adjusting to your opponents style of play and having excellent hand reading ability is much more important in stud8 than in many other games. I also had to open my eyes last week when I played in this stud8 game on PR where I lost 100BBs playing against idiots. I certainly ran terrible but I also did a terrible job of adjusting to their style of play. I just kept on trying to run them over and they kept on calling. What I am trying to say is that this guy could certainly just be playing a style of poker that we havent opened our eyes to yet. The first thing that comes to mind while I type this are the DERB posts. I know almost nothing about this situation but I have a feeling you believe this guy is the DERB of the 10-20 8 game
Old 11-17-2005, 06:52 PM

Well, a couple of things. He's not really the DERB of the 10/20 stud8 game. He mostly plays a conventional game, but definitely mixes it up with some hands that most here would pitch in a second. Very few of the things he does would be considered maniacal or even donkish. Most players in that thread do not believe that DERB actually plays "well" by 2+2 standards; you couldn't say that about Fobol/Kinsman1josh (his new name). Its just that he knows (like all good players do) what you have and what he needs to make to beat you and seemingly gets there every time. He scoops a lot of pots and never speaks at the table -- just a stone killer. The only way he is similar to DERB is that he's crushed this game for as long as I've been playing it (about a year or so) and possibly even longer. I consider myself to be one of the best players in that game over that same time period, and I can tell you that my winnings, while solid, do not approach his at all.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:53 PM

Yeah that 30-60 game really made me rethink my stud8 game. It is soooo much different from any other stud8 game I've played.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:12 PM

I have played with him many times, I play in the $10/20 game as well. He's straight-forward, good, tight. Does not resteal bring-in/antes, does not chase, plays a very regular playing style.

I'd be interested to know what your name is on there, since I take notes on everyone...
Old 11-17-2005, 07:13 PM

Assuming your numbers are correct, then the only explanation is that PP is fixed and he works for them. How difficult can it be to fix a site to the benefit of the site.

The other explanation is that he broke into their server and is able to see everyone cards. Is that possible to do? Maybe.

But other than that, no one can consistantly win $1,000 every day. Everyone is prisoner to the same probility. And if they are doing better than that consistantly, then there is cheating going on.