Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2006, 10:12 PM

Default People with lazy/wandering eyes

Is there a good way to know which one to look at when in a conversation?

rJ
Old 03-15-2006, 10:22 PM

Default Re: People with lazy/wandering eyes

One will be staring at you, one won't. Think about it. It's always very easy to tell. Don't let yourself get distracted by the strangeness of it, and you will naturally lock into the guy who is looking right at you. Because with one eye, he will be. The eye that is never looking at you is, well, not the one he's looking at you with either so you don't have to look at it.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:24 PM

I work with a guy like this. I never wanted to ask so I just looked around usually. But then after a while you will notice that one eye is looking at your face/eyes. That's obviously the one to look at.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:25 PM

If its a girl, just look at her boobs like usual.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One will be staring at you, one won't. Think about it. It's always very easy to tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not my experience. occasionally neither appears to be looking at me. maybe they were messing with me by looking away?

i figure if you look right between their eyes you can't be very far off.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One will be staring at you, one won't. Think about it. It's always very easy to tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is not my experience. occasionally neither appears to be looking at me. maybe they were messing with me by looking away?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how i find it to be too.

rJ
Old 03-15-2006, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If neither is looking at you, the same thing is happening with them as with you -- sometimes people don't look right at each other. Still the same thing as what you do.

Whatever you do, don't do that awful "jokey" but really very cruel thing of jumping your head about and looking wildly all over the place to show that you don't know where to look. This is extremely, extremely lame.

If you can't figure out where to look them in the eye, be content not to do it. It's not essential to maintain eye contact in most situations, and is usually fairly uncomfortable to do for prolonged periods anyway. Take advantage of that to just look at a chin, nose, forehead, or in their general direction if you can't figure it out fairly instantly -- and most of the time by far, you WILL be able to figure it out fairly instantly.

Do NOT drill your eyes around looking frustrated or confused, or make a big production out of it and then act like you were "only joking." You probably won't feel very good about hurting the other person's feelings, and I guarantee you, after a lifetime of having to deal with problems like this on a daily basis, he knows everything about every wrong or mean-spirited move you make and exactly why you made it. So don't be a dick and try to laugh it off. It will just make you even more of a dick.

Look him in the eye when it's easy and natural; you're dealing with another human being, not a freak. Don't remind him that you don't know that.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:00 AM

if i run into this situation i just look at them in between both eyes...@ the bridge of their nose...blarg is right...making a federal case out of it is lame...they cant help it...its like telling someone they have a huge zit on their nose...they know it and cant do anything about it.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:34 AM

The one that's staring at you. You need to force yourself to keep staring at *that* eye, even though your natural tendency will be to follow the other eye because it's moving.

An old boss of mine had a lazy eye. It was incredibly distracting, especially since it took me awhile to figure out why he kept looking around me whenever he'd talk to me.

Currently, I work with a guy with a glass eye. I find it a little creepy...he'll be talking to me and I'll become transfixed on his dead eye that's staring at me way too intently.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:24 AM

DOWN. always look down. that way they can't see you.. twice.