Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2006, 02:44 PM

Default I need a career.

in two months I will graduate. at the moment I have only the vaguest notion of what I want to do. I am a math and political science major, and I've done a lot of work with non-profits (habitat for humanity college chapter executive board for two years, interned in their international office for a summer). however nonprofits isn't the only sector I would be interested in. I'm not really sure what I want to do right now, but I have a pretty good idea of what things are important to me in a job.

<u>things that are necessary to me:</u>

1. impacting/helping society worldwide. I would like to be helping people with whatever I do. I have enjoyed doing a lot of work with nonprofits, and though my interests aren't limited to that sector it's worth noting.

2. changing work. I get bored with doing the same things over and over. I would like to be in a job where I work on different projects and hopefully use different skills every few months.

<u>things that are important but not necessary:</u>

1. global influence. I would like to work in an organization that either operates abroad or has a large amount of influence abroad. (eastern asia and africa are most interesting to me)

2. independence/authority/decision making. I don't expect this as an entry level dude. but it would be nice to have some kind of directing ability with the tasks I'm assigned, and I'd like to work towards a directorial position (is that a word? whatever!)

3. working under pressure. like most people I get more done under pressure. I also enjoy being under pressure, and it doesn't stress me out that much.

4. small office. I wouldn't mind working in a big organization but I think I'd have more autonomy/accountability in a smaller organization.

<u>the nature of the work I'm interested in:</u>

the most fun I had with a job was when I coordinated six trips of twenty people going to different places in the southern US to help build houses with habitat for humanity. it required forming budgets, coordinating resources, making itineraries, and solving a bunch of problems that came up along the way (for example, two weeks before the trip started our insurance fell through and I had to work with the school to find a way to get coverage. in a weird way it was a rush.) what I enjoyed most about this job was (1) directing people and (2) making decisions on the fly.

I've spent a lot of time on online databases but if any of you have recommendations about different careers, or any advice elsewise it will be appreciated. I also wouldn't mind taking a semi-crappy job in order to be able to move onto a great job in five or so years. I'll probably have to do that anyway.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:54 PM

Default Re: I need a career.

Man - public policy think tank in DC that aligns with your political preferences.

-Al
Old 03-13-2006, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man - public policy think tank.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]
that's an interesting suggestion. I generally consider those guys to be more academics than actors, and I would like to be doing something that has a recognizable impact. (I wanna be a rock star, not a critic.) however I'm not ruling it out and will look into it.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:01 PM

Man - I think, if you want to do public policy, it might be a great grounding in "real world application" of higher-level thinking on policy issues, as well as great connections in furthering your aspirations to be a rock-star in your field. Working at the UN, WHO or IMF or something, seems like something you'd be into in the future.

You should, if you haven't, take some economics classes also.

-Al
Old 03-13-2006, 03:01 PM

Please accept my apologies if I missed it. But I saw no mention of money in your little write up. Do you need to make a living in this career? I think it makes a big difference.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:02 PM

CIA

Meets all of your qualifications. They are hiring:

CIA Jobs
Old 03-13-2006, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Working at the UN...

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't he say he wanted to do something useful?

Seriously though, have you looked into the Peace Corps, man? Isn't TME doing that?
Old 03-13-2006, 03:03 PM

Gunny - hahaa - touche.

-Al
Old 03-13-2006, 03:04 PM

President.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please accept my apologies if I missed it. But I saw no mention of money in your little write up. Do you need to make a living in this career? I think it makes a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]
haha, yeah that's pretty important. however I didn't put it in because most jobs meeting these criteria will also meet my income requirements, which are fairly low (I am extremely fortunate and don't have much in the way of loans to pay off.)

however, I missed something HUGE. I would like to live in california (bay area probably). however if I find the perfect job elsewhere, of course I'll move there as long as it's not alaska.