Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2006, 12:31 PM

Default Clarification of B&M rules please?

Sorry for the long post, but I have two questions. Also, I searched for +string +betting -re: and did not find any relevent discussion. If anyone can answer here or direct me to a post or something I would appreciate it.

I went to Foxwoods Saturday to play the 4/8 limit holdem game. Since I mostly play online, I like to play these low limit games for fun, with the free drinks, and to sit down amongst the really horrible play that goes on in these games.

Most players, at this limit, seem good-natured and most games are friendly. Despite some folks showing animosity after repeatedly losing pots I usually enjoy the atmosphere of the games.

However, this last weekend there was one player who constantly called "string-bet!" on the players. Only one player kept 'string-betting' even after being called for it multiple times. It was obvious that he didn't really understand what a string bet was.

1. My question is the following: what is the etiquette for calling string betting?

It seems in some cases one could call string-bet in order to draw cheaply in the pot. On the other hand, one could 'overlook' a string bet from a player if one's goal was to build a larger pot and planning to raise (of course, this depends on other players involved not to notice the string-bet; this should not be too far-fetched at the 4/8 ga me, however).

So is this similar to the chop convention? I.e. one should always call string bet or never...

And is calling string bets bad etiquette?

Lastly, the player who kept calling string-bet was annoying since he was also citing other players supposed rule violations.

One time, one player called raise (verbal declaration) and the table referee said he did not. The dealer and the whole table had to repeatedly say that they heard the gentleman's verbal declaration.

In another instance, the table referee said I checked when I reached for my chips and cut them out next to my stack well behind my cards. I know I did not make any forward movement with my chips until I had the correct amount and I definitely did not say check or tap the table. The dealer seemed to ignore the guy at this point.

2. So what is the best way to deal with characters like this? I was prepared to call the floor if the dealer sided with the table referee and just let it be if the dealer ignored the referee's complaints.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-13-2006, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Clarification of B&M rules please?

1.) When at Foxwoods, get names! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The whole table doesn't have to hear it, if I hear one(unaffiliated) person say he said raise, it's a raise, STFU tyvm.

The rest is not bad etiquette, though a stupid player should learn.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:03 PM

String bets, as you surmise, are called by a player when he doesn't want to stand the raise. If he wants to 3-bet, he allows the string raise to get by.

The fair thing to do is to only call a string raise when the string raiser was clearly pulling an angle. A player who clearly intended to raise but messed up and, technically, string raised, should not be called on it. The only time I like to see it called in such situations is when it's a regular against a tourist-type, so as not to have the tourist either taken advantage of or think he is not getting a fair shake.

There ain't much you can do about these types of nits. You might politely ask him to please refrain from getting involved when he's not in the hand and to let the dealer handle things, or get him distracted talking about the Red Sox so he doesn't notice what's going on in the game.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... ignore the guy ...

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously.

I agree that you should "always" or "never" call string raises. I'm in the "never" camp, I let the dealer do his/her job [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

edit: yeah, andyfox has a better idea, use the rule to keep angle shooters from fleecing tourists.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the answers guys.

FWIW the referee in question is a regular; I see him every Saturday and he was also there Tuesday day time.

Too bad you can not just check 'turn-off table chat' at a B&M [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2006, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the "never" camp, I let the dealer do his/her job [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

At foxwoods a dealer cannot call a string bet it has to be a stringers active opponent.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At foxwoods a dealer cannot call a string bet it has to be a stringers active opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the case at most rooms, a dealer can not call a string, only a player that is active in the hand can.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:06 PM

I usually politely suggest that the table "referee" have a nice big hot cup of STFU.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:43 PM

1. I use the rule so it benefits me. Doesn't matter who is involved, regular, newbie, angle shooter, straight arrow. Call the infraction if that helps me, say nothing if that helps me. I have even called the string raise and then folded (to get a specific player on tilt, and it worked).

My feeling is that the dealer should call and inforce the rules. If the house insists on making the player call the string raise, I will use it to my full advantage, since too many other players will do the same thing.

2. Ignore him if the dealer does.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm in the "never" camp, I let the dealer do his/her job [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How does this work? Suppose a player says "I call you", puts out $4, and says "and raise another $4". The player on his left is asleep. The dealer nudges him and says "sir, it's on you." "How much is it to call?" Does the dealer tell him it's $8 to call, or $4? If he announces $8, can a player then correct it to $4?

Tom10167 I think deals in Foxwoods -- is this really the rule?