Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2006, 07:10 PM

Default JJ - Turn question

Villian hasn't done anything to catch my attention in the ~10 hands he's been at the table.

With the second over card coming, I am mostly concerned with whether my bet was alright on the turn. Is it better if I plan on folding to a check-raise? At this limit I am not concerned with someone putting a move on me.
Would it have been better to check behind and call a river bet?

PokerStars 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero ...

Final Pot: 6.75 BB
Old 03-12-2006, 07:37 PM

Default Re: JJ - Turn question

Bleh. Check behind on the turn, and call one on the river. Betting the turn serves no purpose (if he doesn't have an A or K he's folding, if he has an A or K he's raising, and you have no way of knowing if he's bluff-raising).
Old 03-13-2006, 01:19 AM

I would bet this flop and against one person I would probably bet the turn too. Against more then one I would probably check/fold, this might be a little weak. I think this is an easy fold on the turn once you get raised, i cannot think of a single hand that would raise you that you beat.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:23 AM

After reading the other post I like his suggestion better. I did not think of the fact that you are not really scared of giving a free card here.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:09 AM

Grunch.

It's not a big pot so I'd just check behind on turn and call the possible river bet, he might well bet a worse hand than yours.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:55 AM

I think it's all right. There are some hands like JT and T9 that you'd prefer not to give a free card to, and your outs situation sucks if you're behind anyway (unless what you're losing to is exactly 98). Also, although I don't know 0.10/0.20, I really doubt Villain is checkraising a PFR with a worse hand than yours here.

However, if Villain will bet his busted draws and inferior hands like J9 on the river if you check the turn, then checking behind and calling a river bet is a good play. It's also a good play if Villain holds a hand like 66 that he would have folded to a turn bet but Villain will fire at you on the river with it unimproved if you show weakness and check.