Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2006, 10:43 AM

Default PStars WSOP- Cash or Hotel?

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, I couldn't find it using search but then I suck at searching. If it has been, could someone kindly provide a link?

Anyway, I won a WSOP seat through Stars yesterday and am trying to decide whether to take their hotel room or the $1000. I'm curious to know what everyone thinks would be the advantages of each, but I have a few specific questions for those who did this last year:

1. How annoying is it to take the shuttle to the event in the morning? I can only imagine how mobbed it must get.

2. How annoying/expensive is it to take a cab back to the Stars hotel at the end of the day?

3. How does the location of the Stars hotel compare to that of the tournament hotel, in terms of proximity to other Vegas attractions, restaurants, etc.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice you can offer. See you there!
Old 03-12-2006, 11:23 AM

Default Re: PStars WSOP- Cash or Hotel?

take the money and rent yourself a car.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:30 AM

man I only wish I had your dilemma

that said, I don't think stars will put u up in anything less than Treasure Island/MGM quality...the TI is near the 15 so you can bypass the strip...I say take the cash but book a place where you can easily take the 15N using Spring Mtn Rd instead of LV blvd to get to the rio.

TI is nice, rooms semi-luxurious, not Wynn but much better than Harrah/Bally/or others...it's also a 5 min walk to the mirage...10 min to Caesar's and 5 min to the Wynn
Old 03-12-2006, 11:32 AM

I say take the hotel room for minimizing the PITA factor. It's very nice to just show up at the hotel, say I'm here and they say Thank you Mr Foucalt, here's your key, no charge!

The hotel is about a $7 cab ride to the Rio if I remmeber correctly and there is never a problem getting a taxi. The hotel itself is right on the strip, across the street from the Mirage. The Rio is off the strip a few blocks, near the Palms.

I never tried taking the shuttle. Some of the days I taxi'd, some of the days I just walked (about a 30 minute walk).
Old 03-12-2006, 11:40 AM

how many days does stars sign you up for? is it a certain number of days or up till you bust out?
Old 03-12-2006, 11:41 AM

minimum of 9 hotel nights...+ more if you continue on further
Old 03-12-2006, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1. How annoying is it to take the shuttle to the event in the morning? I can only imagine how mobbed it must get.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not annoying at all. I took the shuttle and hour before start time and there were tons of extra seats.

[ QUOTE ]

2. How annoying/expensive is it to take a cab back to the Stars hotel at the end of the day?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was very easy to get a cab. They line up right by the exit. My memory is kinda hazy, but I think it cost $10.

[ QUOTE ]

3. How does the location of the Stars hotel compare to that of the tournament hotel, in terms of proximity to other Vegas attractions, restaurants, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

They will most likely put you in Treasure Island, which is on the strip and has a great location IMO. It is right next to the Mirage, and caddy corner to the Wynn. It is kind of a far walk to the Bellagio, but not that bad. It is also right next to a pretty big mall if you want to buy stuff or eat cheaply in the food court.

The tournmanent hotel, The Rio, is not on the strip and is in the middle of nowhere. You would have to take a cab to go anywhere else. I would definitely not want to stay there.

All in all, I think the Stars deal is very good. 9 nights in TI for $1000 is pretty good. I'm not sure what the market rate is, but it's gotta be pretty close to that. TI is not luxurious like the Wynn, but it is certainly a nice place to stay in.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
less than Treasure Island/MGM quality...the TI is near the 15 so you can bypass the strip...I say take the cash but book a place where you can easily take the 15N using Spring Mtn Rd instead of LV blvd to get to the rio.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd take neither route. Go out the backside of the TI's parking lot onto Dean Marting (old Industrial). Turn left, go about 1.5 miles, turn right onto Hotel Rio Dr and follow that right into the front entrance. Or turn right on Twain and that will take you to the back entrance or Valley View which has the side entrance.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:54 AM

Photoc,

I think my point was to just stay clear of LV blvd since TI to Rio is a long way at most hours
Old 03-12-2006, 05:07 PM

Default Congrats again!

Last year Stars put me up at the Mirage, which is right next to TI. Both are nice hotels. I very much enjoyed myself. They delivered a nice care package straight to the room. I will elect to do the same again.

My brother and I rented a car, and it was absolutly the way to go. We drove all over the place. We never had a problem finding a parking place.

The RIO is way too far to walk to, not to mention that it was 115 degrees outside.

See ya there.

gcDanno