Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2006, 08:38 AM

Default Live 6-12 hand

This hand made me want to put a gun in my mouth/ Hope that doesnt give too much away. I was wodering if anyone else plays it like this preflop to try and get heads up with 1 brodaway cards and A3 low, aka one of my favorite hands.

Hero is SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG calls, MP1 calls, CO raises, Hero 3 bets, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 folds, CO caps, Hero calls

Flop comes 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero Bets, Villain calls

Turn 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Hero bets, Villain raises, Hero 3 bets,, Villain caps, Hero vomits all over the felt and calls

River 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]: Hero checks, Villain bets, Hero calls.

Does anyone play it differently, I probably should have just called the raise on the turn but im not sure considering the action prflop what I should put him on here. Looked like AA2 or even AA3 or AA4.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:38 AM

Default Results

He flips over Ah 2h 3d 4s to scoop. I kill myself but come back from the dead to write this post.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Results

Hi Odomination,

Okay, I just read the results. My worst fears for your hand came true!
O8 can be such a tricky game, because so much depends on your opponents and what they will or will not do. I played in a B&M yesterday, and could have killed myself several times as I watched players taking pots with Aces up when there was a straight possible, as well as a paired board, etc - and when I could have won with a crappy hand that was better than theirs!! But what they did will more often than not lose them more money than win it. You have to be careful of betting into someone who has the nuts, and it seems to happen in O8 more than other poker games.
In my opinion your hand had a lot of vulnerability, and you got sucked into it. Villain was tricky and played it well.

There's always the next game! Bummer though, I was hoping you got at least your half.

Take care,
bodie
Old 03-11-2006, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Results

I haven't read the other comments yet.Wanted to post my own thoughts first without being influenced by them.

Flop:The 3-bet is speculative with this light hand,But strategy-wise,I like it.The re-raise worked well,because it got rid of BB & UTG.If the raisers hand doesn't contain an A2,your equity is good.

I would not 3-bet.He probably won't raise without a hand that will beat you on one side or the other,So you probably won't get more than 1/2 of the pot.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Live 6-12 hand

Hi odomination,

I haven't read the results yet, I thought I would just look at it as it happened first.

Pre-flop: Not a bad hand for SB. I would call CO's raise, but I wouldn't three-bet - too many ways for this hand to go wrong:
a) a nice low possibility, but only if the flop hits you right, and you're still vulnerable to being counterfeited with no other low protection.
b) high straight possiblity, but I consider this one of the weakest hands in O8 to be counting on
c) 3rd nut flush possibility - again, in O8 not something I want to rely on
d) nice high cards for boat possibilities if the flop is right

Flop: I like the bet to see where you stand. He doesn't raise which *might* mean your hearts are good, depending on how tricky of a player he is. He raised preflop which many players do in O8 only with low cards such as A,2,w,w (W = wheel card), or A,A,w,w, suited or doublesuited.

Turn:
Looks like he was betting on low, and either he's tricky and also has a 1st or 2nd nut heart flush, or doesn't have a heart flush at all. Either way, at this point you're trying for half the pot. We know that he just made nut low and your raise gives him a chance to cap - if he does have the nut flush that was not a good thing. What were you wanting to accomplish with the raise? He's not going to go away at this point.

River:
You missed your low, and have to hope that he doesn't have hearts. I would also call since the pot is so big and hopefully you've got half of it.

Alot depends on how much you know about Villain and his playing style. Looks like he played it pretty straightforwardly. I hope you got your half!