Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2006, 10:21 PM

Default tough spot with AA i think

villain is very LAG 58/19/2.7
we hadnt gotten into any confrontations thusfar. ive been playin very TAG poker on this table

im going to post this hand in two parts because I think the turn and river are interesting here

my thoughts are in blue

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button ($99.05)
SB ($97)
BB ($199.49)
UTG ($303.58)
Hero ($181.70)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $6</font>, Hero calls $3.

<font color="blue"> my standard raise and then villain, a very AGG player, reraises. i decide to call to play the hand IP and let villain bet into me. reraising, i feel, pretty much gives away my hand. </font>
Flop: ($14.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $19.24</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $75</font>, BB calls $55.76.

<font color="blue"> he leads into me just as expected with an overbet of pot and now its time to turn the heat on with the reraise. his call then becomes worriesome. i put villain on 1010, KK, QQ, JJ, A10, or lower set, and of course with an AGG opponent we have to factor in having air</font>

Turn: ($164.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks

<font color="blue"> well, this eliminates 1010 from villain I believe. so i put him on a boat now, trips, or air. i checked for pot control because i still have some showdown value. i feel this is a pretty standard check</font>

River: ($164.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $99</font>, Hero calls $99.

Final Pot: $362.50

<font color="blue"> THE BIG STREET!!! River bricks and villain bets a tad over half the pot, essentially putting him all in. based on his numbers i called because im getting 3:1 and i have good odds with his range of hands ive put him on. </font>

<font color="purple"> thoughts on ALL streets...is this hand standard and did i waste alot of my time???</font>
Old 03-10-2006, 10:40 PM

Default Re: tough spot with AA i think

It is a tough hand. He flat called a a pretty stiff reraise on a fairly dry board. His preflop minraise gives you a lot of info, but that depends on how many hand you had seen play, but usually the preflop means something. I understand wanting to get value with your AA but I would seriously consider 3 betting him preflop. As played, I think its ok. Your turn check pretty much committed you to calling the river.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:02 PM

IMO, just calling preflop with AA is best when you make it like 4 and Villian makes it 15+. This way you are assured of getting a lot of money in on the flop.

His raising such a small amount preflop gave him a good price to see the flop and leaves too much room for guesswork, especially with these big stacks.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:12 PM

I think this is JJ-KK the majority of the time. Raise the river and take the rest of his money.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:24 AM

Not reraising preflop is a big mistake against this guy. This hand illustrates why: You allow him to play a small pot with you and control the betting. He valuebets and decides to play a big pot on his terms. Think about it, Hero has beeen playing TAG poker and villain decides for the first time to play a big pot with him?

The flop raise is terrible imo. You called preflop to disguise your hand, now let him bluff again on the turn, don't stop a bluff when your preflop plan was to induce one. You put yourself in a very bad spot by raising this flop, and I'm pretty sure the river call is -EV.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:05 AM

Pf makes me want to throw up.

Post flop looks good.

Paul
Old 03-11-2006, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop raise is terrible imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. This type of player is stacking off with JJ-KK.

Paul
Old 03-11-2006, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

that my exact reasoning for making the raise
Old 03-11-2006, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

With 180bb against someone who has been playing TAG?
Old 03-11-2006, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
villain is very LAG 58/19/2.7

[/ QUOTE ]

This type of player is not paying attention to how hero is playing. When hero raises the flop he's thinking woo Im going to double up v his tp/bluff. Even for 180bbs. This is my experience from playing the 100 6 max over the last year anyway.

Paul