Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2006, 04:45 PM

Default DVOA

Its kinda interesting to me how the mainstream media keep telling me the Denver Broncos are horrible vs. the pass (they are 4th worst in ypg- yet people ignore they are the most highly thrown against team in the nfl by 2 attempts/game) and thus will get baked in the playoffs against the AFC's great quaterbacks (4 of the top 6 in nfl QB rating in AFC playoffa), yet when I check out football outsiders defense DVOA Denver is ranked as the 4th BEST team against the pass in the nfl. I guess I have no point other than a lot of the media is really misinformed.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:50 PM

Default Re: DVOA

a lot of different football stats can be presented in a way that is misleading
Old 01-06-2006, 05:02 PM

unfortunately the misleading presentation of various football statistics is the commonplace norm and not the isolated exception.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:12 PM

Either that or people remember that they got destroyed by the Colts in the playoffs the last 2 years. They added to the secondary after the first blowout, and it got them at least a couple chances to see Hunter Smith punt the ball the next year.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:24 PM

the difference is that Roc Alexander isn't guarding Reggie Wayne anymore; Darrent Alexander is so good he makes me touch myself.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:27 PM

and they improved their secondary and defense even more this year with foxworth and d.williams and the elevation of nick fergusen to starter at safety with the subtraction of lenny walls and kenoy kennedy; improved their team speed by getting ian gold back at lb; and improved their dl, which while not putting up huge sack numbers has consistently pressured the qb, somthing that didn't happen last year with the loss of Berry in Free Agency and Pryce's back injury (it was all reggie haywood). They have 3 legit nfl cover guys in the secondary, last year they had 1.

So its too bad that the people who think that they stink because they lost to the colts the past two years are doing the same thing - presenting misleading and inaccurate info. This D may not fare much better, but its a much different D than the ones from each of the past 2 seasons and IMO a much better one as well.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:17 PM

Denver is best on third and fourth receivers and tight ends. The Colts are still a pretty good matchup, but not because Stokely will exploit their nickel package or Clark will get free over the middle. Indy vs. Denver would be a lot more ground based, the gameplan would be centered on Edgerrin running and catching the ball.