Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2006, 12:02 AM

Default Should I Move to Canada?

Hey all,

I've been thinking for some time now about possibly moving to Canada. I was curious if some Canadians would give me their insight and also if people could point out "things I'm missing."

First off I live in Spokane Washington. My family lives 2 hours south of where I currently live. If I did move to Canada it would be somewhere in the back woods area right north of Spokane (about a 3 hour drive). So I would live approximately 5 hours away from my family rather than the 2 I live now.

Reasons to move:

1.) No tax on Gambling. This year I'll be paying around $40,000 in gambling taxes. If I move 3 hours north, I pay $0. Seems like a good reason to move?

2.) I Disagree with America's foreign policy and feel horrible that my taxes are going to pay for the war in Iraq. I know no matter where I go I'll never agree completely with the politics of a land. But it seems Canada's general "more relaxed" view on laws/war seems to fit me and I generally agree with them more.

So....What do you guys think? Move or stay? And more importantly, WHY ?

side note: Please keep this semi serious. And if it needs to be moved/deleted could the mod please PM me; I thought since I might be moving to another country to avoid internet gambling taxes it would be relevant for discussion here. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Should I Move to Canada?

Yes

1) uhhhhhh

2) agreed
Old 03-10-2006, 12:04 AM

If you move to Canada you still have to pay taxes.

Also as a side note I think its stupid that people move out of this country based on something like that. There are plenty of important good things about this country that far outweigh the bad. You sound like one of those people who vote on hot button political issues that quickly dissapear after the election while you're stuck with a politician who doesn't accurately reflect your entire poltical beliefs yet you voted for him solely based on one issue.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you move to Canada you still have to pay taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone said there are no taxes on internet gambling in Canada, am I wrong on this?

I understand I'll still have to pay property taxes etc. if I moved to Canada.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:06 AM

I don't think you can just "move" to canada. If poker is your primary income it is taxable. I really haven't heard of a poker playing paying taxes in Canada, but it's not tax free like people think. THere just isn't any precendent on how to handle it i think.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:07 AM

Dead straight north of Spokane puts you in my hometown, Castlegar. Climate is similar, dry most all year round, hot summers, cold winters. If you like to ski, golf and play sports in general, it is a pretty cool place to live. Check out Nelson, it has more charm than Castlegar or Trail.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you can just "move" to canada. If poker is your primary income it is taxable. I really haven't heard of a poker playing paying taxes in Canada, but it's not tax free like people think. THere just isn't any precendent on how to handle it i think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand on my other "businesses" I would be paying taxes etc.

But the tax question I'm looking at is "do I have to pay taxes on the $400K-$500K I'm making playing online poker?"
Old 03-10-2006, 12:12 AM

Somebody posted the canadian tax code a couple of days ago, and yes you still have to pay taxes if you are using poker as your sole source of income. Not to mention that I'm pretty sure you still pay taxes to the American Government as long as you are an American citizen. I used to work with an american whose wife was working here, and he used to always tell me how much of a headache it is to do his taxes.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:13 AM

In a nutshell, yes. In Canada, you are taxed on your income. For most people, gamling is a recreation, and money gained at a recreation is not taxable. If the bulk of your living is made from internet poker, it is no longer recreation, and you should pay tax. Of course how they would find out and enforce this is a seperate issue.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:14 AM

I wish I had this problem.

[ QUOTE ]
This year I'll be paying around $40,000 in gambling taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]